Perhaps it is considered tacky to air out one's laundry on a blog, but then I consider my blog part of my community. I know that the majority of you are my dearest friends, and the rest of you are people with whom I'd like to be friends or have in my community. Also, I have NEVER begrudged anyone their emotions in the blogosphere. I usually put my hand over my heart and and sometimes touch the monitor when I read an especially heart wrenching post because if I know the writer, I want to hug her because I love her and can identify. If I don't know the writer, I want to hug her because I love her and can identify. There are times when we just need to metaphorically sit with each other and recognize that we are all together, with each other - being human together. So today it's my turn.
Until Sunday, I was two weeks shy of being through my first trimester. I was pregnant. The baby had a heart. She had a brain and fingers and toes. She had ears and a nose. She even had a name. I was pretty sure I had lost her on Sunday evening, but found out for certain yesterday.
This pregnancy was a surprise, as far as pregnancies can be. I didn't figure we were even able to have kids, which was pretty much fine with me since I teach school and am constantly playing mother to my students. In fact, I was sort of pissed off about being pregnant because it "wasn't the plan."
Anyone who knows me knows that I am a list maker. There is always a plan. If the plan goes out of order or is interrupted, it crushes my soul (Thanks, OCD). I have to actually PLAN to be spontaneous.
So, the overall plan was to go to Spain, to Machu Picchu, to continue traveling East until I was brave enough to go to India and Asia. I (have always)wanted to live in Britain and be in the places where my favorite writers walked. I wanted to go at least for the summer (possibly do some sort of teaching exchange there), if I couldn't make the move a reality. I've applied to several programs and have done tons of research.
I've never been very maternal anyway, and couldn't imagine wanting to change my lifestyle. I loved that if I wanted to, I could hop on a plane for a last minute adventure. I was a size 6 for the first time since high school. I had major bikini plans.
So, the pregnancy made me a bit bitter and sad (my plan was certainly interrupted), and I felt like I didn't want the baby at first. The shock turned into embarrassment and then to anger at myself for being so selfish. Finally, I got used to the idea. I started thinking about cribs and diaper bags and names. I started planning financially and began looking at day cares and insurance policies. My family, for the most part, was so happy. The first grand kid was on her way! This part was both fun and stressful, but manageable. And I started to talk to the baby, and plan with her. She was becoming a reality and I was learning to be excited, like Rich who was completely over the moon about it.
The entire time I was pregnant, I was bleeding. I knew that that was bad, but I also knew that it happens. Every doctor visit was stressful because we were so worried about what they would tell us. But I was almost finished with my first trimester, the time when things were supposed to be more "safe". I didn't let myself get too excited about that, but I did start cautiously whispering the news to some of my friends who were really excited for us.
Then it happened.
I am such a control freak. I knew it was happening, but because I'm me, I tried to will myself to stop it, physically even. I made a doctor appointment the very next day. The news was hopeful. My body still 'felt' pregnant.
But then there was yesterday.
I can't describe to you the loneliness and silence associated with looking at an empty uterus on a sonogram screen. It is almost ridiculously calm (or maybe still is the better word), and maybe would've been so had my heart not been sinking with the realization that I was staring at nothing. Nothing was there. There was nothing.
Rich was not able to be with me and I have never felt so completely by myself.
When a doctor came in to talk to me about "options," I couldn't look up. I couldn't respond or blink or breathe. The doctor put her hand on my wrist and stood there, probably praying for me, but I couldn't imagine why anyone would pray over nothing on a screen. It was too late for prayer.
I only sort of heard what she was saying, and I know that I received a shot of some sort and signed some paperwork to do with surgery next week. I had to initial a disclaimer that it wasn't the doctor's fault if I died on the operating table and something about a transfusion.
I immediately started calling my family, irrationally apologizing to Rich first because I felt (feel) some sort of responsibility for losing the baby.(Maybe I didn't want her enough, or worse, maybe she didn't want me.) I started writing to people who knew about the pregnancy, and throwing away calendars that had due dates and weeks numbered. I threw away all of my "baby" lists, and cancelled all of the up coming appointments. I threw away the mother's day cards I received this year, and unsubscribed from the "this is what your baby looks like at ___weeks" newsletter I was receiving.
No one knows quite what to say to me, and some people say the silliest things. Some people are mean without meaning to be, and some are insensitive. But it's weird because even these things are said in an attempt to comfort. They're said in love.
The worst is when people say things like, 'These things happen for a reason.' No they don't. There is no 'reason' in a miscarriage. There is not a rationale, at least not one that I can accept right now. Or they say, 'Probably something was wrong with the baby and this is God's gentle and natural way of taking care of that defect." Uh. So God aborts some babies, but not all of them, and yours is the one he picked today (and we give him credit for all of the healthy, 'miracle' babies who weren't 'defective' at ten weeks?). Reason doesn't play into this one. But like I said, these things were said out of concern.
There are some people who have said wonderfully beautiful things. My favorites are that "in some beautiful way, our bodies reabsorb most of the baby, which means that baby is and will always be a part of you." Another is that I "will always be a moma. From now on and forever, and that because the baby was in me, I can know that the life she had was happy." Or, "Having a miscarriage doesn't mean that you can't eventually have a baby, but we need to mourn this baby right now. This is a loss and it's OK to be sad."
And those of you who simply cry with me and tell me "I love you" over and over.. That's the most valuable. That's all I need. I NEED "I love you".
I don't know why women don't talk about this sort of loss. I guess it is considered too personal. Or maybe it's just too sad. Or maybe unless you can't say 'I love you' to someone or you haven't been in the situation and find it awkward (which it is), it's easier to just not talk about it. I don't know. I find it horrifying that so many women have endured this loss, and that we can't be vulnerable with each other about it.
It's just a sad, sad time. I am fighting irrational thoughts, which is 'normal' from what I understand, and my hormones are going crazy. Physically, I'm not 'finished' with the miscarriage since it is a process, and I have to constantly think about it. It's painful and gut wrenching, both physically and emotionally.
I'm going to be OK, but not today. And that's OK.
So that's the laundry, uncomfortably aired out on my blog. So sit with me if you want. Be with me here in this comfortably uncomfortable space.
15 comments:
G- I am so incredibly sorry you are going through this. My sister also had a miscarriage, and it's as heart wrenching as when her son died. Wish I could take away some of your pain for you, but know I am praying for you, for Rich, and for the child you got to carry for a short time but never got to hold. Glad school is almost over so you can do what you need to do to mourn and physically recover. Love you sweet girl, and NOTHING you did caused this, no one is to blame, and it totally sucks.
PS- As for the stupid things people say, I can relate. When Camden died, I got a lot of, "At least it happened early and not when he was 5 or something like that when you'd really be attached." WHAT?!?!?! I never wanted to hit someone so badly in my life.
Praying folks hug you rather than speak and that when stupid comments enter their heads, God renders them mute so they can't utter it out loud.
My love, I am wiping tears away as I type. An awkward way to type, that's for sure.
I love you, I love you, I love you. I love you for the woman you are and the mother you will always be.
I love you for your perfect prose, your unending bravery, and your heart-mending love.
I love you, I love you, I love you.
I wish so badly that I could give you a warm hug and wipe your tears, even though that would be kind of awkwardly in each other's personal space, even for us. But if I were closer I would so do that for you.
I love you, I love you, I love you.
This probably is unexpected, coming from me as it is, but I wanted you to know how much I respect you for being so honest and open about this.
As I'm sure you know, I have had a lot of problems with you this semester. Our personalities conflict a lot in class and I don't really think either of us is at fault. Regardless of that, Mrs. Scott (of course) told me of your predicament yesterday before I went to Litmag, and I was very genuinely worried about you.
To me, a miscarriage is one of those things that is truly heartwrenching - not just for the mother and the father, but for everyone around them.
I'm glad you made this post. I am able, right now, to feel that I have a lot more in common with you than I ever thought before.
I know you want things to stay normal, that's why you're having the party I assume, and I respect you for that. But don't feel like we'll all expect you to be happy, or over it. Be however you are. It's fine. And don't do too much that you don't want to. We'll understand, I promise.
I'll see you tonight. I hope you and Rich can find some consolation in your own personal faith, or elsewhere. And that's a lot of hope coming from the hard-as-nails girl that doesn't believe in much of anything except chaos.
Feel better, Mrs. Haag. I love you, even with all the differences.
I love you. And not because that's what you said you wanted. I love you because you have always felt like a wise sister. I love you because you were a friend to be when friends were hard to find. I love you because you are truly one of my most beloved friends. Someone who is always there. You are a strong and courageous woman. I'm deeply sorry for the loss of your baby girl.
I am so sorry. I am praying for you.
I am so sorry for you loss. Feel free to air your laundry as much as you want. Take care of yourself and know that you and your family will be in my prayers.
MY sweet Ginger! Like Lisa I am too wiping my tears away as I type. I've been thinking of you ALL day. I am glad you shared your laundry here. The part that grabbed my heart and squeezed out the tears were when I read you went through that appointment alone! I so wish I could've been there with you, holding your hand and hugging your neck! I am so terribly sorry for your loss and like I wrote last night in my email I really don't have any words of wisdom but I Do LOVE YOU and so wish I could be there to cry with you! You and Rich are in my thoughts and prayers and once again...
I LOVE YOU!!
Jen
When I found out what happened, I prayed for you, and, after reading this, I cried for you. I love you, Ms. Haag. Feel better.
My heart and my hope go out to you and Rich. I know Amy feels the same. It hasn't been so long since were there, and it just basically sucks. I admire you to no end for being so open about it -- your words here will live forever and speak profoundly to many who have gone through this, or will someday.
We love you and are just a ways up the road if you need us.
I don't know what to say -just know that I am sitting with you in your pain - anytime you need a shoulder to cry on or a person to be stupid with I'm here.
Sadly I suspect that God had to make the universe this way (ephemeral, always full of uncertainty, sickness and death) in order for separate things to actually exist, in the flow of time. time involves movement, creation and destruction, experience: and this is what makes living in it so very beautiful, but also infuriating, and ultimately tragic
Unfortunately, we get SO attached to things we identify with, especially offspring, but given the true nature of things (as described) we really are only storing up trouble for ourselves by being this way..
That said, it is essential for the way nature works that we care so much. So in a way, it works perfectly
But our lot as humans is SO difficult. on the one hand we can conceive of perfection, the unchanging, immortality, God, while at the same time being unavoidably yoked to this world which is like a mirage that is, weirdly, paradoxically real
is this not why tragedy and comedy are so closely aligned, why people sometimes laugh at awful things, do we recognise how very absurd and truly amazing it is that, given our ultimate status (trapped in this life, for now and yet dead as doornails in the end) that we even care at all??
In the Muslim tradition, the angels are told to bow down to us, good old humanity (unlike in Christianity where it's God they're all told to bow down to) presumably in recognition of our awful, absurdly tragic, yet ultimately glorious position, in God's scheme of things
Hence perhaps the reason why it's okay, with certain safeguards in place, to bow down to the archetypal Man on God's Throne, That is Christ
So, as the Muslim hierarchy goes, the angels are to bow to us, and so to God through us, because we in turn bow down to Him (God, the spiritual solution to all our tragic predicaments) which means, in other words, to effectively remove ourselves (and therefore death) from the picture
Satan, of course, had other ideas which is why I mentioned the fact, before I heard this sorry news, that angels are still fighting
We humans can and will defeat Satan (for it is only through us that this can happen, for it is we that give him is power) but only when we completely change our attitudes to worship, self, life, and death
And I suppose the need for this is especially great when we lose a loved one..
I hope you are feeling okay, or at least a bit better, today
With love from Mark
I am so sorry. I don't know you personally, but only through the Girls' Moma. And I am sorry.
I've been there. Reading your story brought tears to my eyes over my loss, and it's been 4 years. You never forget; that baby will truly be with you forever. I'm praying for you.
I also don’t know you personally, but through my cousin Lisa. When I read this post it brought tears to my eyes and I had to tell you how sorry I am that this is happening to you. I have been there as well, and understand how it feels to just be getting used to the idea and starting to alter plans and actually get excited when the rug gets ripped out from underneath you. It seems so cruel that once you‘ve finally accepted the idea of your previous life being changed forever, suddenly that’s where you find yourself again, and maybe you don‘t know what you want now… that was my experience, anyway. I know many people tread lightly on this subject and it can be difficult to find much comfort even when you know everyone means well. I wanted to let you know that if you think it might help you to talk to someone who has been through it, you are welcome to contact me (my email address is in my profile on my blog). I know you don’t know me, so I completely understand if it’s too awkward to talk to a total stranger about such a personal and painful experience. I just wanted to offer my support. No matter what, you will be in my thoughts and I hope that you will quickly find what you need to be at peace with this.
I, too, do not know you personaly, but I know what you are ungoing right now. I lost my second baby during the 2nd trimester, so I understand the feeling safe...and then having all that hope of the future ripped away from you for apparently no reason. I have nothing to offer you except that the pain is real and the anger and sadness is ok. And it's ok that it lasts a long time, and that when you think you're doing better, another wave of sadness hits you out of the blue.
That baby will be with you forever...2, 10 and 25 years later. Even if you have other children.
I'm praying for you and your husband.
Post a Comment