Thursday, May 15, 2008

Or Press the Panic Button

So yesterday in my first period English IV class I was describing the wacky world of misplaced modifiers when all of a sudden a hushed hub-bub broke out in the back of the room among those who are generally more loud and animated. I could distinguish few words and was fairly confident that they weren't concerned about the canyon being 10 miles deep (as opposed to the winding path, like the example indicated), but I did recognize the words "Ms." and "Haag" among the frantic whispers.

I asked them what was going on, and they all stopped and stared at me. Finally, the bravest kid in the back of the room, the one who is not shy about discussing any topic broke the silence by sheepishly asking,

"What happens if your water breaks in our class?"

Silence again.

I looked intently at all of them, trying to decide how I was going to respond to them, to this question that they were seriously concerned about. Out of my mouth came,

"Well. I guess the front row will get wet."

The class, responding as one, took in a huge breath of air and squealed, "Ewwwwwwwwwwww!" Then came a chaotic blend of amused voices that shrieked, "Oh my god!" and "Noooo!" and "Get it off of me!"

When the laughter finally died down, I did explain to them that probably nothing would happen if my water broke in their class, that more than likely I would walk out of the room calmly and that they wouldn't notice anything was amiss until a substitute walked in. I explained that nothing would "explode" or "spray" or "pop" and that I was sorry to disappoint them, but even if my water does break or if I do go into labor, I would more than likely walk calmly out of the room. I would probably NOT give birth in front of them, and that Junior, the kid who sits front and center, would not be in charge of finding towels.

The weird thing is, they weren't really relieved. They actually were disappointed. They explained that it's not because they want me to go into labor in front of them, but they recently realized that they wouldn't even get to meet Jack. They compared their situation to watching a movie that they were really interested in, and then having someone turn it off right before the exciting ending. "Sorry, you don't get to see what happens next, even though you've invested a lot time here. Too bad, so sad."

They're right. They are seniors which means they won't be back next year. They won't get to see Jack, even though they've thrown baby showers, suggested names, and cleared the halls for their poor, pregnant teacher. They've dealt with the wacko hormones and have tolerated all of my moans and groans. They know I probably won't see them walk the stage or go to their prom, even though they are eager to share these moments with me.

I didn't realize until this silly conversation that this is the end of the year and, more than ever, there is a reason to feel nostalgic. It was sort of a bitter sweet moment..

And then I told 4th period this story and they responded by shrugging and declaring,

"Oh, we already decided that if you go into labor in our class, we'll just press the panic button.."

6 comments:

Jen said...

It is getting close, isn't it!! I am so excited for you!! Are you planning on finishing out the entire year? How much longer do you have until the year is over? I have 14 more days!! Not that I am counting!!

I miss you and LOVE You

Jen

Amira Abu-Shawish said...

See, that right there is planning.

Happy Fun Pants said...

Awww..that's actually sweet. And I get that they want closure. How great is it that they want to share those moments with you?

(sigh)

It is sweet.

I love that the water burst isn't even there and they're saying "Get it off me!"

How funny.

But the one thing that is clearly missing from your post is "I don't know nothin' 'bout birthin' no babies!"

Christine said...

I also plan to hit the panic button, my own little interior panic button. But no worries -- I'll fake my way through it and do my best to play it off. I'm likely to quote Dolly Parton from Steel Magnolias: "It's gonna be okay. Women have babies everyday."

Christine said...

And by the way, only 24 days.

Holy shit!!

Ginger said...

Hey Guys,
Yeah, I am planning to finish out the year though it's taking a lot more will power to do so than I imagined. Walking down the hall is hard, but I am still weighing whether or not that is worse than trying to leave sub instructions for the rest of the year. Plus, I still have major assignments coming in, ones that subs won't be aboe to grade.

My kids ARE sweet this year. I am lucky that this is the group that is helping me through.

As for the panic button, my internal one is basically on high alert.. I am having anxiety about everything from surviving the end of the school year, to anxiety about the having a million people in my town to welcome Jack, to some anxiety about the actual birth. I suppose these are natural concerns..
And yes.
Holy Shit!