Being pregnant is so flippin' weird, and in many different ways. I'm not just talking about what's happening to my body which, by the way, is some crazy shit. For example, I have a weird ache where my right leg is attached to my torso and I'm convinced that in the night my leg actually fell off and little fairy-like beings reattached it before I woke up, and I'm still sore from that "procedure" even though the work was exceptionally flawless.
I'm not talking about the baby either, though it is pretty cool that he apparently has great taste in music and performed some sort of Snoopy-like happy dance this morning to a sensational bluesy guitar riff. He also dug the music from the movie, Juno (or maybe he loved the movie itself because it is a GREAT film), and kicked the whole way through. He also responds to the new Alicia Keys song, "No One."
I think what I actually mean is that people respond to me in very odd ways. For example, people want to touch me in places that don't normally get touched in public. Well, not in visible public anyway. They want me to perform odd experiments on myself like: Go in a dark closet and shine a light on your stomach. It'll make the baby squirm and that's funny. People rub my belly like one might rub the Buddha or a baldhead (for luck). They talk to my belly button. They comment about my breast size (mostly in favorable terms which is nice for a change). They tell me I look well, or that I'm cute pregnant (as opposed to all of those un-cute pregnant girls). They comment on my weight, on my clothes, my "glow". One lady made fun of the fact that I was eating a pop tart for breakfast, only it was a witty quip cloaked in a warning about pop tarts being bad for babies. I mean geez. Where was my stalk of breakfast broccoli?
Last night I was out having dinner with the Fougs. We wanted to share a dessert and we picked the ice cream cake. Sure, the cake had the word "Kahlua" in it, but I thought I would ask if it was actual Kahlua or simply Kahlua flavoring. I knew that if it did have any alcohol in it, it probably wouldn't have been much. So I decided I would ask, but before I could even point to the picture, the waitress leaned over me and said, "Oh no. That has alcohol in it and babies don't like alcohol." So I hastily (and somewhat self-consciously) pointed at the next picture and that's the dessert we got. The waitress then checked back to see if "the baby liked the dessert" we picked. I hope so, because it wasn't what we wanted. (Sorry Fougs.)
First of all, what the hell? How is what I consume or don't consume any of her business? At least the Pop-tart lady was someone I know. And secondly, I'm not drinking tequila shots or beer or wine or ANYTHING alcoholic, though my doctor actually told me to have a glass of wine every now and then to relieve some of my anxiety, a condition far worse for the baby than an occasional glass of wine. But people do. They butt-in. They offer advice when none is needed. And the worst part is you can hardly be upset with them because they mean well. They actually believe they are doing the best thing for you, or teaching you some sort of life lesson, or they want to somehow be a part of it for whatever Freudian reason.
This is hardly a new concept, and I do recognize that community child rearing involves many people being in one’s personal space. “It takes a village” and whatnot. But it’s still weird.
10 comments:
Oh my Lord, the waitress? I'm sitting here getting all angry and embarassed for you! Yeah, I don't understand society's need to butt into pregnancies. Whenever they did that to me, it always made me feel like a pregnant crack whore they just saw on a street corner. I use that as an example because crack whores have healthy babies all the time, so why couldn't I have a Coke with caffeine in it every once in a while, dangit!
Preach it sister!
Hey some of us just want to live vicariously through other people, but I agree with you girls. A friend of mine just had a baby two weeks ago and she works in a salon so all day long she had to deal with the crap that pregnant people do. I vote just do foster care....ok well maybe not you get asked some really stupid questions with that too:)
Hi Dee! I so want to live vicariously through Rick Steves. I get what you mean, though. And it's weird too because I was one of those girls who consistently shied away from pregnant women AND from women with children.
Until very recently, I vehemently didn't want either of those experiences to happen to me. I mostly didn't think about pregnant woman etiquette or really, the lack thereof.
But I do know that for some reason (and maybe it's because we've become accustomed to living outside of "community") we invade each other's space and it comes out in an awkward, know-it-all sounding voice when what we mean to do is participate.
I bet you do get interesting questions with the foster parent thing like I get them for being adopted.
Your salon friend reminds me that I better get my roots done before I can't hide the pregnancy anymore and someone talks to me about the chemicals being bad for the baby..
I made a comment , but don't think it "took"...but you are so funny...and I love the music playing...who/what is it? Glad you are playing "everything is going to be alright"!!...
Can people who do not know you really tell you are pregnant...I mean, I do believe the glow thing and all that...but already patting your belly?
I think you should go back and have the dessert you and Fougs wanted...can't wait to talk to you....love mom
I guess in lots of small ways we all alter what we'd most want to do based on who's watching, but usually it's a personal choice, not someone telling you their opinion on what you're doing.
You're funny -- you put on your very polite face and I'm pretty sure only I can read the "WTF?" thought bubble above your head.
I'm just waiting for the day someone turns to me and asks when I'm having one.
Oh. No. You. Didn't.
Christine, when they turn and ask you, just tell them Ginger's baby IS yours.
AMEN!!!! I'm applauding, and completely agreeing with you on this post. I feel your pain...from the right leg to the things people say. I am right there with you girl.
OMG. I laughed so hard.
And just so you know, you're not alone. All of my other once preggo friends said the same thing...everyone has an opinion and everyone feels like it's important that they share it.
:),
A
P.S. please note, I am not touching you! :)
PS Ginger if I were with you I would be touching you and my friend would get hell from people for doing highlights and such but...little William is here and is perfect in every way. Go get your hair done enjoy it and get a message while you are at. You deserve it.
Post a Comment