I've been stupidly (and blindingly) busy lately and with things that only kind of matter, in a do-or-die kind of way. What I mean is that who I am is a list maker and I am working on millions of lists that detail everything from what to buy at the grocery store to how to dismantle an atomic bomb.
Nowhere on the lists does it mention:
- playing outside
- going to see a movie
- reading a book for pleasure
-breathing
Therefore my lists which are supposed to help me manage my time wisely and judiciously are actually (and actively):
- taking over my life
- making me a work junkie
- pushing me to feel completely exhausted and stressed out
And sometimes making the list takes longer than actually completing the tasks on it.
This is Spring Break for me, the operative word being 'break'. It is usually a time for people to be listless, or at least lazy.
But my lists say that I'm supposed to:
- clean house
- set up a nursery
- grade (thousands of papers) and study for school
- clean up the yard
- go to multiple doctor visits
- meet with/set up appointments to meet with day cares
- work on the baby budget
And these are just list categories! Underneath each category is a list of it's own. For example:
Set up nursery (get rid of "junk room" - where all things go that have no other place in my house) (to be done by Tuesday)
- clear off bookshelves
- organize books by stack (sell back, re-shelve, and attic)
- move shelves into front bedroom
- re-shelve books (except the ones that go to the attic or to Half Price Books)
- move dresser from front bedroom into nursery
- move piano out of nursery into... somewhere
- buy paint
- paint the walls
- move twin bed away from window
- buy curtain rods and sheers
- put up sheers
- clean out closet (one stack for charity, one for attic)
- buy a bassinet (But first, continue extensive research on bassinet companies to make sure I get the safest, most ergonomic one for my lifestyle (co-sleeper? 3 in 1? play yard with changing table?). Check Craigs list and Ebay)
All of that is one list! And the logical side of my brain is laughing at me. I mean, how can I get this one list done in one week, much less two days? And how am I supposed to manage this when all of my lists are more or less this detailed and necessary? Plus, oh yeah, I'm 7 months pregnant!!
I think the lists have got to go...or at least get consolidated somehow. I know the world won't end if I can't get it all done, but I DO know that for my sanity, I need to at least complete one of my lists.
Hi. My name is Ginger and I'm a listaholic.
7 comments:
Ginger,
Take a deep breath and think about what you must have, when. It is your break, and you need to 'break' for awhile. Things will get done, at their own pace. These are things you want to accomplish, or would like to accomplish, but as you said, the world will not end if you don't get that bed moved. Besides, should you be moving a bed? I was also a listoholic at one time, but sometimes life has a way of rearranging our lists.
Take care, sweetie,
Aunt Cyndie
Make sure to get some rest somewhere in there too. Once you get going with some of that, you'll hit a groove and get more done than you think.
As for painting, make sure to check with your doctor to make sure you can. Some won't allow it for preggos, mine just said, "Make sure the windows are wide open and there is lots of air ciculating." But really, check, to be safe.
Oh crap, I just added to you list didn't I? Sorry.
I am also a listaholic.
I find I make many more lists when I feel out of control about something....somehow if I acknowledge that, I feel better and can just take one small task at a time.
Take care of you - what needs to be done will eventually get done. It is not the end of the world if it does not get done.
I wish I was there to help with some of your tasks - even if it's just painting or cleaning the toilets (a true act of love on my part).
I'm sending you good and peaceful vibes. :)
Hey try handing over a list to the hubby. (Smile) If it were me I would go for the "clean house" list. Yep...Ha! Just rememeber to take care of yourself...and enjoy the time you have now.
My name is Sarah. I am a listaholic. My lowset point is when I wrote on my list that I needed to make another list.... follow that? Yeah. Its bad. but I LOVE IT! (evil laugh while clinching my lists...)
Have a great day!
Ginger I wish I were closer and I would come and do some of those things on your list for you. I hate Buffalo for that exact reason. I am not a list maker so I really don't understand the stress of a list but I do know it is nerve wracking trying to get ready for your boy so I am praying for you. If you still have things on that list this summer count me in I will help in any way I can. Love Ya girl
Best book for listaholics:
Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity. By David Allen.
It's not an overnight cure. In fact, just like recovery work, it takes practice. But after following its principles and specific actions for almost 3 years, my ability to handle the bazillion things is generally more stress free than before. And I'm getting things done. Not all bazillion things of course. But I am "complete with my incompletes" as Allen would say.
Post a Comment