
It would be hypocritical of me to expect you guys to vote if I didn't exercise my right as well. So, being the overachiever that I am, I voted early. The last time I voted in a presidential election, we Texans didn't pay much attention to what a primary is, much less about platforms and policies. We lived in a country that basically said, "Hey we're feeling a little uncomfortable. That Bush guy - he's a crack-up with all of his noo-cyoo-lur speech and all. But whatever. CSI Miami is on. I wonder what that Horatio will say next. Pass me another Keystone." We laughed through the hilarity of dangling chads*. He he. They said "dangling" and "Chad." And though some of us did make the trek to the voting booth (I remember taking a pleasant stroll to mine), there wasn't nearly this amount of enthusiasm or interest in the election. I think, as Democrat Texans (if I can include myself in this group), we assumed our vote wouldn't matter anyway. And we were pretty much right.
This year is a much different scene. Even at early voting in this primary presidential election, the lines to participate went out of the door and into the parking lot. You're supposed to vote early so that you can "avoid the lines" on the actual election day. People were holding their voter registration cards close to their persons, nervously checking to see that they were current and signed. Though polite, you could feel a little bit of tension in the air... or maybe it was anxiety.. enthusiasm? I noticed that when folks were choosing their ballots^, they would study the "how to" flier before going to the booth, so that they would know exactly how the new voting machines work. I mostly heard the word "Democrat" with a couple of "Republican's" as people were filing in and choosing their ballots, not unexpected seeing as the Republican nominee has pretty much (but not officially) been selected. But I also wondered if Texas really is as Republican as I think it is, or if the Democrats in this state have been lazy (or preoccupied with daily life).
Anyway, I was extremely cautious in the booth and felt the weight of what I was doing. I made my decisions, checked them, confirmed them, and waited for the waving American Flag icon that let me know that my vote had been cast. I took a deep breath and hoped that I made the right decision for my life and for all of the people in my community, especially the ones who chose not to vote. When I left, I was disappointed that I didn't receive a sticker that said "I voted". I imagined that they ran out of them since so many folks were showing up to vote early.
The cool thing is that on Tuesday (MARCH 4th), the day of official voting, I am going to participate in my very first Caucus, the second part of the primary election (also called step two of "The Texas 2 Step"). I'm not sure exactly what to expect, except that I watched some of the Caucuses on TV this year and I know there is a lot of hand raising for "all for's" and "all opposed's". I expect this will be a community building event, and I am completely excited for it. I wonder if they'll let me take pictures..
So, go vote on Tuesday. Participate in the Caucus. This is a fantastic time for our state and for our country! And let me know that you have! We can celebrate together.
* My pregnant brain wondered how many people in Florida named their babies Chad that year.^One has to declare which ballot he/she wants (Republican or Democrat) before going into the booth. 'One becomes "affiliated" with [that] party... for that primary year'.
4 comments:
You are right Ging, this is the first time I've really gotten into an election. I am not sure if it is because I am older and more mature, because of all the media hype or possibly because the candidates are minority. I'm sure it's a combination of all of the above
Since I started Grad school, last year I sit up and listen when it comes to politics. I take notice of what politicians are saying and how it will effect me and my community. I guess it's because I am more mature!!
I am fully planning on voting on Tuesday. How do you participate in the Caucus?
This post was one of my Posts of the week!! Go check it out!!
Love you!
Jen
All I know about the caucus is show up to your voting location (by 7:00 pm here) with your voters regitration card. After that, I have no idea what to expect. I do know that you have to have voted in the primary to join the caucus (voting earlier that day is fine).
2/3 of the Democratic delegates are decided by the primary and 1/3 are decided by caucus. The Republican voters do not caucus. All of their delegates are decided in the primary election.
Thanks for putting me on your post of the week list! That's pretty cool!!
Love you!
So...at the end of January, I was on a HORRIBLE date with this guy... like 15 minutes into the date, we started arguing about politics...and continued to do so for the next 2 hours. No kidding.
The funny thing though was that when he went to the bathroom, I realized that the two tables on either side of us were also discussing politics.
The young lady at the table to the left of me, said in response to a man's question of "So, do you know who you're going to vote for?" said, "Well, I don't really like either candidate, so I don't think I'm going to vote." And again, this is in January when there were still several candidates for each party. Uh, HELLO!
(sigh)
I love that you're informed and that you're promoting others to be informed and to make their vote count.
Post a Comment