Thursday, April 24, 2008

Letters for April 6: Principals

Hi Friends!

I need your input. Sadly my amazing boss, Mr. A, has decided to retire. That means (sniff) that our school needs a new principal!

In order to pick the best person for the job, the committee that was elected to conduct interviews has sent out a questionnaire to help them ask the right questions. I think these questions are valid, no matter where you live or what your job is. Education is important to all of us.

Here are three of the questions:

1. What are your educational concerns? (in society, in public schools? in your own household?)
2. Which areas (TAKS (or state testing), curriculum, discipline, budget, etc.) should a principal emphasize?
3. What is the most important quality in a principal?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Ginger

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How would you handle teacher/teacher, student/teacher and parent/teacher conflicts?

Jen said...

I feel I should comment on this post being that I am studying to be a principal but lately I've been so tired I don't think I can write anything profound!

Oh well here goes! To answer number 2 I honestly feel as a principal I would need emphasize all those areas. I feel in order to lead a school to new heights all areas must be addressed! I feel they are all weaved together in order to create a school climate that fosters both student and professional growth. A school that not only cares about academic growth of students but the whole child or I guess in your case (since it is a high school) student .
To answer number three I would say the most important quality of a principal would be a genuinely kind and honest person. Someone who is approachable and truly cares about their staff and most importantly the students! One that will be the Principal teacher that never loses their roots of the classroom!

Ok I am totally rambling here but there you go!! Was that profound?

Good luck with finding a new principal. That can be scary and exciting all at the same time!!

Love you!!