1. I started doing that gonna-sneeze gasping thing while fanning my face, on the verge of a mondo-nuclear spasmodic expulsion, when one of my students yelled, "Say 'cows!'"
"Wha...ACHOOOO!?!" (intake of air, waiting for the earth to stop shaking) "What?" I inquired, thinking I must have heard her incorrectly in my pre-sneeze delirium.
"Say 'cows' next time," she said. "It will stop the sneeze."
"Oh. OK. Uh. Thanks(???)."
2. During a particularly quiet moment in class last week I heard this loudly whispered in a voice that might have held a hint of concern in it from a boy in the back of the room:
"Dude. Ms. H is getting fat."
(I grinned and shook my head.)
The guy next to him immediately swung an open handed smack right into the boy's chest (to stun not to injure) and hissed:
"Dude! She's pregnant!"
Boy: "Oh yeah."
It is the end of the semester..must hang on to the funny things and let go of all of the not-so-funny things.. like students who are failing my class because they are too apathetic to do anything..How does one fight, "I don't give a damn"?
8 comments:
teenage boys... hilarious
I love that you're still trying to fight apathy. I love that you care. I wish I would've had more teachers like you. :) Just know that even though you're not saving all, you're making a HUGE difference to most.
Also, please send pics of you and the baby you're growing. :)
Boys are crazy like that and teenage boys are just plain silly with no filter. Glad you can laugh about it.
Isn't Haley cute? The cows thing does work though - but only because it's so confusing it distracts you.
Haley is cute! I thought maybe the cows thing was an old theater trick or something..
Thanks for the words of encouragement Anne. The semester ended on Friday so maybe we can all start fresh, although senioritis is currently battling the flu bug for The Most Heinous Ailment Award.
senioritis already?! wow.
david sedaris was on this american life recently. (i have the mp3 if you want it.)
good luck with winding up the semester!
Oh man, I had senioritis when I was a JUNIOR. Ahh, I remember it well. It is hard to fight, but that whole, "Don't you need my class to graduate???" thing usually works in our case, Ging!
also... must...have...pics...
Yes, Ging we need pictures!!!
Post a Comment