Monday, March 10, 2008

Worth Watching

"Creativity expert Sir Ken Robinson challenges the way we're educating our children. He champions a radical rethink of our school systems, to cultivate creativity and acknowledge multiple types of intelligence."

"Why you should listen to him: Why don't we get the best out of people? Sir Ken Robinson argues that it's because we've been educated to become good workers, rather than creative thinkers. Students with restless minds and bodies -- far from being cultivated for their energy and curiosity -- are ignored or even stigmatized, with terrible consequences."
from www.ted.com

4 comments:

Christine said...

As I watched this video again, I thought that not only should this be required watching for educators, but it's important for parents to hear, especially parents of young kids. I sent it to my sister. We as teachers know that parents are the best advocates of change in the educational system, so we should pass this around to the parents, too!

Ames said...

Awesome! This is great! I am definitely passing this on to teachers/educators and parents that I know. One thing that Ken touched on was medicating children...It really saddens me to think of ALL the children that take medication these days...all because it makes out lives easier as adults/parents/educators. How selfish!

One thng I have learned over all these years of raising a special needs child is maybe that he is not the one that is special needs...maybe he is the normal one and we are all the ones that are special needs. I wonder somtimes. I tell you...the things that I see from him just amaze me and make me wonder about myself.

Thanks for sharing!

Jen said...

Ginger you are so right this WAS worth watching!! I got chills from watching it! It make me think of the power I have as a teacher. I can either squash my students' creativity or cultivate it.

It makes me sad how fine arts has been taken out of schools, at least in my district. There are no music, art or dance teachers anymore in the elementary schools. It's my job as a self contained 2nd grade teacher to fit it all in and I know I don't do a good job of managing it all! Thanks for reminding me to make more time to sing and dance it's so worth it!!

Jen said...

Oh and Christine, you are right every educator and parent should be requited to watch this video! Let's spread the word!!!

Jen