Sunday, August 21, 2011

The Condition of my Back

Probably I shouldn’t write about my school in any form that can later be downloaded and printed off for lawyers to peruse for my trial – the one that happens after I’ve completely cracked and phoned every student or parent who was ever mean and told them what they could go and do with themselves. And you know I would never actually mention names in my writing.. mostly because I can’t remember them. HOWEVER, I do need to mention the fact that tomorrow I step into an entirely new academic dimension – one where there is no mask about privilege ruling supreme, where kids are treated as royalty, probably because they actually are royals.


Tomorrow is the first day of school.

Before I go into specifics about the knots in my back, I should mention a particular time in Montezuma, New Mexico, a day where all stress induced back aches disappeared and I felt free. Montezuma is host to a gorgeous international school where they occasionally hold what I affectionately call “teacher camp” for international teachers. It was a usual IB training with booklets and coffee breaks, but because it was in the mountains, there were also obstacle courses and “trust game” activities. For me and some newly made friends, there was spinning and dancing in an open field under the stars on a particularly magical, musical night. There was laughter and camaraderie, and skinny dipping in hot springs. It was lovely breathing fresh, crisp air and being so alive! It was a time when the teachers felt like kids again, where we actually felt important, like what we do for kids in the classroom matters.

At this camp, not only did I learn what I would consider the true nature of IB – organic, inquiry based learning where marks are given for ingenuity and insight, not taken away for mistakes – but I learned that I HAD to be part of the international teaching community. It was my niche, something I already knew about myself but hadn’t, until then, understood the urgency. The school in Montezuma was a scholarship school which to me said “level playing field.” In other words, everyone had an opportunity to play. No one had to pay. Everyone was valued and valuable.

Unfortunately most international schools are not like Montezuma. Most international schools have an agenda, the top three being religious, governmental, or for profit. This isn’t a new revelation. In fact it is the same in the states in public schools whether we care to admit it or not. It’s the wealthy elite enjoying excellent education via privatization and neighborhood privilege while the poor marginalized are left to beg for their intellectual bread. Generally international schools are for kids whose parents are “relocated” by their jobs or who have choice (i.e. money) about where they get to go to school.

My longing to be part of the international teaching community – and fitting in with those who are free spirited, educational gypsies - went to war with my integrity about what I think education should be: something organic, equalizing, and rooted deeply in community. I signed up anyway, giving-in to my selfish (perhaps that’s too strong of a word) need to feed my personal desire instead of huddling in the trenches with those who are fighting for the ideal promised to us as part of “the American dream”, and which is, in my opinion, a basic human right.

So back to my back. It hurts. Tomorrow is the first day at my new international school, and I’m stepping across the threshold with stories about how certain crown princes must carry their cell phones at all times in case of diplomatic emergencies; how certain affluent mothers squealed at seeing a washing machine for the first time and asked the dorm parent who would be doing her son’s laundry; how certain kids go for walks on sunny days instead of coming to class because they’ve never had to adhere to anyone else’s agenda; how the school is elite academically because they know the “strategies” involved with squeezing out the best test scores for programs like IB and AP, organic learning be damned; how the parents tend to overstep their bounds by being too involved.

I have to admit I’m afraid. Mostly I’m worried about connecting with my kids. Tomorrow is the first time I will be formally acquainted with elitism beyond anything I’ve ever seen (and I’m from Texas, folks!). I know kids are kids. I’m sure I will connect with many of them. I also know that most people are good people as Desmund Tutu reiterated regardless of what's in or not in their bank accounts. Also, the nature of my school almost forces community because we are all new here- teachers, students and parents alike. Still. This is most definitely a surreal leap.

I hope I’m cut out for it.

4 comments:

Jen said...

You are going to do GREAT!!! I know a little how you feel as I am scared for the first day at my new school too!! It's kinda funny how we are going through a lot of the same things even though we are thousands of miles apart!! Good luck my dear friend!!! I love you and can't wait to hear all about it!

Southhamsdarling said...

My granddaughter goes to the International School just outside Paris, and she loves it. She's 13 now and has been going there since she was 6, when they moved over there from England. I hope your back gets better, and I wish you the very best of luck for tomorrow. I'm sure you'll do very well!

rainbow said...

Not only are you cut out for it but THIS IS WHAT YOU WERE MADE FOR. Remember when you starting out in Dallas with your first class. I seem to remember a big question " LORD why did you ever have me be a teacher? " and you went on that year to lead your kids in contest and took 5th Place in Texas. I thought then 5th in Rhode Island no big deal but 5th in Texas is a very big deal. And the magazines your kids published, how many honors did they take. SIT BACK AND ENJOY THE RIDE, I STILL WISH I COULD HAVE HAD A TEACHER LIKE YOU WHEN I WAS IN SCHOOL. YOUR STUDENTS ARE LUCKY TO HAVE YOU FOR THEIR TEACHER. Enjoy your first year at your new school.

Renee said...

Deep down under all of the entitlement are still the same kids. Some will be sure of them selves in everything and it may seem that that comes from their status, but there are the same kids that act that way without any priviledge. On the opposite side of that there will be the ones that are unsure of themselves and are looking for someone like you. A light that will empower them and lead them in the right direction. I know that you will do great, and I hope you have a great day tomorrow. Miss and love you all!