Monday, November 27, 2006

Potable Politic

Terry Blair is one of my favorite people on the planet. The second I met him I knew that we were creatures cut from the same cloth. He calls me "daughter" and he is one of the most kind, compassionate men I have ever met. He is a brilliant teacher and mentor, literally; he shines! The following are in a delicious quote journal filled with marvelous poetry, philosophy, quips, and aphorisms that Terry spent years compiling and then generously handed to me for no other reason than he wanted me to share it with him. His efforts have become the foundation for my own. Thank you Terry! I love you!


I'm feeling a bit political today, especially with all the goings on in the world. Here are some ingredients for those of you who like to mix politics and poetry (shaken, not stirred):

Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.
John Adams

Democracy is a device that ensures that we shall be governed no better than we deserve.
George Bernard Shaw

The death of democracy is not likely to be an assassination from ambush. It will be a slow extinction from apathy, indifference, and undernourishment.
Robert Hutchins

Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.
Winston Churchill

The best government is a benevolent tyranny tempered by an occasional assassination.
Voltaire

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson

1 comment:

Christine said...

I love Thomas Jefferson.
And Terry is pretty cool, too! :)