My freedom topic didn't make the list this week for the salon (sigh). I'll have to wait until next month. In the meantime, here are the topics for this week. Enjoy:
Discussion topics for November 10, 2006:
1. Is the West's privileging of reason over emotion a prejudice?
2. "In the long term secularization holds more dangers for the human race than religious fanaticism."--Historian Paul Johnson. What are the dangers of secularization?
3. Is memory moral? Do we have an obligation to remember some things--and to forget others?
1 comment:
It's election night, so I'm going to turn #2 into a political question. And it's one I really, seriously, want an answer to. Why are so many people so vehemently against gay marriage? Eleven states had some sort of anti-gay marriage referendum on their ballots, and it was winning in every state, quite handily in most. And I have to say I don't get it. I truly think this is something that in the future we will back on with shame, Jim Crow laws for the last group that it is still "okay" to be prejudiced against. Sorry to hijack your comments here, G. Just ticked that no one I voted for won tonight.
Thoughts?
Post a Comment