Rich and I got ready (and successfully avoided the student who has my home phone number somehow and who wanted to know where I was sitting at the show), drove through the freezing rain and made it to the concert. We found our section, our row, and then we turned to get to our seats and OF COURSE I hear, "Mrs. Haag?!" Yep. One of my IBers was sitting on my row a few seats down from me. As I was trying to hide my beer (I don't know why) and was trying to not look flabbergasted (after all, I do really like this kid), I said, "Oh, hi J. How are you? Yeah, this is fun. A is here, too? really? where? (uncomfortable glance around the aisle) OK, I'm gonna head to my seat now. See you later." J and I only exchanged one other conversation when she came over to chat a little and then we gave each other one extra side glance as Rich was being elbowed in the face by Rouge. All in all, it wasn't an unpleasant situation.
Who is Rouge?
Rouge - short for Baton Rouge, as in the place where this drunk RHCP groupie was raised - sat next to us and flailed like a mad fiend, falling all over every one around him, spilling (more like pouring) beer on his own crotch, and putting on and taking off his shirt over and over again. This is him:The boy was "feeling the love" quite literally. At least I got something like four hugs (and I say something like because they were only "sort of hugs" that were more like the hugs boxers give each other in order to stay standing) before Rich traded places with me. Rich must have had 75 "sort of hugs" as the evening progressed (and he got at least one nipple tweak), as did everyone else in a 5 mile radius - hugs, not tweaks. I was worried about the guy getting sick, but I was amazed at Rouge's stamina. I think Rouge even tried to buy shots for the people serving beer (who wisely cut him off) which is really ballsy seeing as they don't serve shots. This happened all before the music started. As responsible members of society, and since Rouge was by himself, we made sure that he wasn't driving. Rich thought Rouge was pretty funny and anyway, he is used to being beat-up at concerts.
Gnarles Barkley kicked off the evening and was good. How can you go wrong with funky, bluesy, hip-hoppy soul ? Oh. You play it in an arena... The string section - who do some pretty impressive chair dancing - are called the G-strings: clever and cool. Overall, Gnarles Barkley was a fun, friendly warm-up. Then it was the Chili Peppers' turn
They started off boldly and I was pretty excited when Anthony Kiedis hopped onto the stage. How can hopping be sexy? Anthony Kiedis is a sexy hopper! Musically, I thought they were pretty strong, especially John Frusciante, the guitarist. But at the end of the night I left completely disappointed. The only band member who talked to the audience was Flea - and we love Flea - but Anthony Kiedis barely said anything. When he did, he said something derogatory about football which almost got him booed out of the arena. Dude! You're in Texas! We invented Friday Night Lights! He left he stage pretty early and the band didn't even play "Tell Me Baby", one of their most popular tunes on Stadium Arcadium. Anything they played off of Blood Sugar Sex Magik was good and "Snow" was fun, but the band didn't even attempt to connect with the audience. I could have watched this show at home on TV in surround sound and had the same experience!
I realize I'm spoiled because NO band can compete with the type of show that U2 gives. Even in a giant stadium, you feel like U2 is playing for you. And let's not forget that Joan Jett rocked hard! So what gives? Obviously, the RHCP are talented musicians and they are still around after 20 years so they're doing something right.
Also, the Star Telegram had a similar review:
There's not a whole lot new going in the Chili Peppers act these days. Flea still overplays his bass with considerable ferocity, Anthony Kiedis still sings nonsensical lyrics about California and has trouble hitting a good portion of the harder-to-reach notes, and drummer Chad Smith, well, still wears hats on stage. The only real change in the band's classic sound is guitarist John Frusciante.
Frusciante, who has always been just a touch better than the rest of the band, continues to explore new ground as a guitar player. Where he's considerably reined in on disc, he runs wild live. Where Flea gets noticed for how much he plays, Frusciante does more while playing less than anybody this side of Prince.
Maybe they would be better in a club show. Most bands are.
No comments:
Post a Comment