Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Storm Warning

I was by myself tonight when the storm hit. I didn't realize it was coming until the background murmur of the television went silent as I was fixing some hot tea to ease my wounded body and comfort my wounded spirit. I had my journal under my arm, today's pen color appropriately black. The silence was the first indicator, followed by brutal, 100mph sheer winds that whipped the screens against the windows. The lights began to flicker on and off as I hurriedly lit candles, located the storm radio, and listened for sirens which were going off and which I couldn't hear for the back to back, jaw rattling thunder and lashing rain.


What seemed to be a dire situation turned into an I Love Lucy skit as I ridiculously tried to usher cats to the storm shelter (the closet in our bedroom), carrying hot tea, the weather radio, lit candles, and (of course) my journal and black pen. Even though my mood was depressed, I did have to snicker at the fact that I NEEDED each of these items in my safe room. How silly that I couldn't make two trips or that I probably didn't have to have my journal or that cup of tea right now!


But then, I've always been silly like that.


Anyway, there we sat in the floor of the closet amidst dirty laundry and piles of shoes, me hugging my warm tea mug, the cats looking at me for the reason that we were sitting in the closet amidst laundry and shoes. I immediately regretted that during my mad juggling act and trip to the closet I hadn't found room in my arms for a blanket because I really needed a nest.


I need a nest right now.


As quickly as the storm hit, it passed, and I know that my body will heal and that my spirits will be uplifted eventually. Until then, I'll crawl under my blanket and wait it out.

5 comments:

Jen said...

We had nasty or should I say weird weather here too! We even had to bring the kids in the hall because of a tornado watch!

I am know how much you HATE tornadoes so I am sorry you had to go through that alone!

I love you tons! Wish I could be there to give you a great big hug!!

Chelle said...

Hey sweet girl, hope today is a better day for you (or at least one without sirens). A nice glass of tea and a journal, what nice "medicine." Much love to you.

Anonymous said...

(Let's see if your mean blog will let me post today...)

Sorry you had that additional "fun" last night. When it rains it pours... literally. I'm glad you were safe, kitten-comforted, and able to appreciate the Lucy-esqu-ness of the moment.

Much love to you!

Mark said...

i'm sorry to hear you're not well Ginger.. & hope this message finds you safe, sound and in good spirits again

also, please say hi to Rich from me

M

Mark said...

sorry if this is too much but by coincidence just saw this link, from University of Texas' Robert Jensen's interesting post at UK Indymedia

Austin Project for a Participatory Society Book Group:
"Diminished Democracy"
The Austin Project for a Participatory Society's May book of the month is Theda Skocpol's Diminished Democracy: From Membership to Management in American Social Life.

His site, and more info about Austin based events is at Third Coast Activist

Hey, is this a wild crazy idea?

If you're serious about community change maybe he/they could help you set up some kind of local meeting group, linked in [or not] to yr Friday Night salon?

Just a thought, for what it's worth.

Ciao ciao for now

X