Maybe you'll notice the guy practicing his business (or romantic) proposal in a Macy's store window; or maybe you'll cock your head at the woman whose dog is sporting the same exact hair do as her own (or worse! Maybe it's the same as David Hasselhoff's). Perhaps your focus will trip at the sight of a kid visibly calculating his next mischievous action (involving a salt shaker, a dead June bug, and a bobby pin) aimed at his sweet, unsuspecting little sister.
Whatever the circumstance, I take comfort in knowing that I am equally (and sometimes MORE) strange than those around me. It's a nice feeling to be bonded to all of humanity in this way, and realizing that we have room for all of the beautifully odd ones around us makes life increasingly meaningful!
For my part, I realized this morning that I have a morning mug routine that mirrors/projects my mood for the day, another in a myriad of quirky habits I embrace.
One "normal" guy may determine the way in which his day will go by starting it off with mirror edification; "I'm good enough, smart enough and doggone it...". Or maybe he'll spend time in mindful meditation or prayer, breathing in the peaceful morning, the playful noontime, and the restful, lavender evening.
Maybe he'll start off with a shot of whisky and a Marlboro, kick ass cowboy style.
Or maybe he'll blink his way through a hot shower, allowing the droning daily news show to seep into his tired pores as he prays to stay awake through his mundane morning commute. (Here's where loud music is helpful. )
I've personally tried all of these morning routines in an effort to get ready for the day or to help jump start me into the "right" attitude. But lately the most effective day determining factor comes from my dependence on my morning mugs.
I am, straight up, a coffee addict, which is hilarious because the only reason I started drinking coffee in the first place was because it made me FEEL more like an intellectual, simply because I thought it made me look like one. After all, the smartest people on the planet are never without a mug of coffee. Even their breath smells smart.. or something like that.
Even though coffee is vital to my system, it's the mugs that are my morning crutch. Coffee, then, is the birth parent of my strange morning mug habit.
Here's how it works: If I am feeling giddy or playful about the day, I pour my medium/dark roast Folgers into my very favorite Kermit mug, an unusually random souvenir from a blissful vacation. If you see the Kermit mug in hand, the day is already a thumbs-up!
If I know I need an extra dose of ballsiness for the day, I sip out of my Judge Wilson mug, a parting favor from my time spent on a jury last year. (Did you know you get jury duty parting gifts? How very Bob Barker meets The People's Court!) No one messes with me on a Judge Wilson day. Judge Wilson mug + black lace underwear= get the hell out of my way!
So what about you?
What rituals/habits make you as crazy as me and the rest of the world?
10 comments:
Ok when I first read this I couldn't comment! So please refer to my comment on the "So I Married an Ax Murderer" post!
Why am I not surprised you have a mug to match your mood? They all made me smile though :) Or, maybe I could just imagine you grabbing one dependent on how you felt. One day, we may drink coffee, guess we aren't grown up enough yet.
ew coffee. yucky.
so how's the summer been, so far, mrs haag? i really do hope we stay in touch, considering you were my favorite teacher after all.
Hey Justin!
Of course I want to stay in touch! Blogs are a great way to do that! (Plus I like it when I get called someone's favorite!:))
Hey, I went and saw Justin, Jarred, Jordan, and Robbie's band last night at JGilligans. They were pretty much amazing, as usual.
I tried to get them to play (at least) the guitar solo from Freebird (which I know Justin can do, no problem), but sadly, I wasn't heard. They did play covers from RHCP, Iron Maiden (?), Rush, and The Monkeys, (very ecclectic set), but I think I liked their originals the best.
I recognized several folks there, but none that were my former students.
I like your new look! I guess we were doing the same thing yesterday or should I say this morning!! I didn't go to bed until 4AM!! That's crazy!! But hey that's what I LOVE about Summer baby!!
Anyways I love the picture of your stain glass! That looks perfect with the colors of your blog. Did you make that?
I also love the music. I love Gnarles Barkley and I want to download the "Wild Horses" song. See isn't this blog stuff GREAT!!
Hey Jen!
Yeah, I think we were up together. I went to lay down at 6:00 this morning, but the most WONDERFUL thunderstorm kept me awake. I never have the heart to sleep through awesome (and gentle) thunderstorms since they don't happen very often. I think it's the closest I get to remembering as a kid what Christmas morning felt like.
Thanks for the compliment on the glass. Yes, it is one of mine. It's one fifth of a larger piece that is hanging in that small window next to my front door. It works the same as blinds, only it's much more interesting to look at (uh..in my humble opinion)than blinds.
Wild Horses is actually a Rolling Stones song, but I like the Sunday's version better. There are several remakes, but The Sundays actually do the song better than the original, I think.
Gnarles Barkley opened for the RHCP and I really dug his sound. His music is sort of a common meeting ground for me and the younger generation. I like him!
I miss you like crazy, Jen! This is the bitter sweet part about blogging: you get to have contact with people you love everyday, but then you're reminded that you are still very far away from each other. Oh well. I'll take what I can get. Maybe I should give you a call soon on my red "there's no place like home" cell phone. Maybe I should learn how to work it first..
I miss you too Ginger! Maybe we can get out to see you guys in August! We'll have to look at our finances!(YUK!) But yes give me a call! I would love that!!
Thanks for the info on the "Wild Horses" Song! I will check them all out on iTunes.
Oh my the stain glass in the little window by your door is Awesome! What a cool idea. I have to see a picture of it when you have the project finished. Am I remembering correctly that the window is a long vertical window. About the length of the door? Very cool!
I wish we would get a nice Thunderstorm! (Even though they scare me!) It has been pretty dry around here! Well I love you bunches!!
Jen
Oh BTW I thought of you this morning as I grabbed my mug for my coffee!HEHE
Ginger I started drinking tea when I met Cliff and P-ta and there are not many mornings that I go without it. I am teaching Zackary that having a cup of tea is essential to getting the day started. We cannot play, talk or change poopy diapers till Dee Dee has had her tea. I do have favorite mugs as well. If they are all dirty well the tea just isn't as good. I actually bought my friend Sandy and I matching mugs and accidently ended up with her's and I am having a hard time giving it back because seriously the tea just tastes better out that mug. Very Clever blog my friend. Thanks for sharing.
I know you think of me when you use that Kermit mug and THAT'S what REALLY puts you in that happy mood, right?
Actually,
I do think of you when I see my Kermit mug.
And thinking of you DOES put me in a happy mood..
So the answer to that question is, YES!
Post a Comment