Friday, August 17, 2007

It's that time

It's that time. School starts in a week and teachers officially report back on Monday, though several of us are already working and have been all summer. I always find it funny when Corporate Joe makes a remark like, "It must be nice to have the summer off," usually said with a hint of sarcasm in his tone that makes the statement sound more like, "Must be really nice to have so much vacation time where you do NOTHING and get paid for it while I work year round and only get a measly two weeks vacation time and that includes sick days. Jerk. (eye roll)"

So go be a teacher, dude. The system needs you. I have several other scathing retorts that I could mouth off to him, but generally I am good about swallowing that particular bile. And for the record, of course we don't get paid for our "vacation time". We get paid for our required clock time for the school year only, without overtime which inevitably good teachers HAVE to put in since papers, unfortunately, do not grade themselves. Most of us choose to stretch the wage over 12 months so that we don't, um I don't know, starve in the summer.

(sigh)

Please don't misunderstand. I have to acknowledge that to an extent, CJ is right to be jealous. Depending on the teacher, we can make each summer whatever we want it to be. I, for example, use my summer to feed my travel addiction and to read and sunbathe as much as I want. Also, this summer I happily attended two International Baccalaureate conferences, have had several meetings with the Fougs to plan for this year, have organized my lesson plan book for the entire year and have been to the schoolhouse to get my room ready. In July I had the opportunity to judge literary magazines for the Columbia Scholastic Press Association and decided to try it so that I can do better at advising our school's mag. Also, I've been reading different texts all summer so that I can vary the reading for my literature courses. Today I'll attend a senior level meeting.

There aren't many jobs that get a "do over" every 9 months, and the summer cleanses the palate and lets us catch our breath a little. Summer allows teachers the opportunity to reflect and revise so as to avoid last year's shit smear. Or as Rich wisely (and more eloquently) puts it, "They give teachers the summers off so that some of us will come back." Amen.

But I love the work. I love all of it. A lot.

So, hey CJ! You should be jealous. And even though I do feel a little bit sad that summer is ending, especially since it means that I'll have to stay put for a while, I am optimistic about this school year. Bring it.

7 comments:

Jen said...

And you say I'm the only one with such motivation!! Amen, Amen, Amen!!

Yep my mom once told Jen Bel, one of the best things about being a teacher is you can start over every year and fix all your mistakes! I love that! I just got home from the school house and feel good about the progress I made in the past two days. I am starting to get excited about this new year!

We don't start until Wednesday but it might as well be Monday. I am sure I'll be there anyway!!

I love you and good luck on a new year!!

Deidra said...

Hey ladies good luck in school. I don't start till September 10th so I have a few more weeks of time off. But we didn't finish until June. I wish you all luck and pray that you each have a successful year.

MomaCynGranny said...

You know CJ, too, huh? I seem to run into him about once a month and he keeps asking the same question and make the same comments. Will he never learn? Why don't we lock him in a room full of 5th graders that are gang affiliated, could have some kind of weapon in their backpack and haven't had a meaningful conversation with a parent,ever. Plus they can't read at grade level, and don't care. Oh, and because the gov't gives them whatever, they have no need to work hard and do well. They'll still get the money. Ya' let's try that. HAHAHAHA!
Aunt Cyndie

MomaCynGranny said...

Yes, this is my life. Would I give it up for something else, never. It's more that a job.
CJ, can you say that?

Chelle said...

Oh yes, I remember ole CJ. wanted to smack him, repeatedly. Then, I remembered that his kid is the one who sat in my class writing he just wanted his parents to spend time with him, to ask him the questions that were hard, and to stop thinking giving him "stuff" equaled they loved him. At that moment, I felt sorry for CJ because I knew his kid better than him.

Ginger said...

Hi Aunt Cyndie!!!
Teaching is sort of a paradox isn't it? What's that cliche saying? "The hardest job you'll ever love" or something..

I often hope I'm making a difference, though there are very few indications of that throughout the year. The best is when kids come back and tell you how you've impacted their lives. I got a special email this week from a kid I "adopted" when I taught 7th grade. He's a senior in high school now and is doing well. It is worth SO much to me when they check in!

I'm glad you're reading! It's always nice to have family around!! Please tell Uncle Gene hi from me!
:)

Neal Locke said...

Yeah, I remember that frustrating stereotype, too. I used to tell people that summer is when teachers can finally do things that other people do in the evenings and weekends (which teachers don't have)...like pay bills, clean/fix the house, buy groceries, etc. Try putting that off for nine months!

As an "ex-teacher," I do miss the summers, but I miss the school year even more. What an incredible, life-changing, world-changing, purposeful job.

Good luck to you. May your first day of school be great, and may each subsequent day be even better.