I think that on a day like today, we need to carefully consider our hearts. Today should be a humble day, one of reflection and contemplation, on which we think about cause and effect, who we are as people as opposed to who we want to hate, and what we may become as a result of the decisions we make. Perhaps we need to be a little bit less celebratory, and at least think about our actions before we turn a tragedy into a Halmark type of patriotism that creates divison, as opposed to working toward cohesive solutions and understanding.
4 comments:
I agree Ging!!
I hate that we live in a country so divided!! I think back to the patriotism that was shared 6 years ago and wish we were still that united! How sad that it takes a tragedy for people to come together! Makes me wonder what it's going to take to shake people up again!!
Hi Jen!
Yes, we are very divided, but in a way, that's the beauty of democracy. I worry about the patriotism we shared 6 years ago, because I wonder about what the root of it is, In other words, I wonder if more than it united our country, it divided us from the rest of the world.
I think you're right that tragedy brings people together, when it's genuine concern (and maybe personal?), and that is part of what makes community so special. Concern for people is what we should value the most.In thae value and concern of/for people, there is understanding and peace.
I think you're also right about what it will take to shake people up again. I'm worried that whatever it is is coming (and it always will be). But also, I'm worried that whatever it is won't surpise us as much.
But then, when I get concerned about humanity or politics or war, I think about my friends and family, and remember that we love eachother enough that whatever happens in this life, I know that our hearts are full.
When I’m threatened to be overwhelmed by thoughts of war, hate, and other evils, I too have to think of friends and family. The lesson of 9/11 – the one beam of light piercing through all that pain is that we are all friends and family. On that Tuesday in 2001 we knew it – we felt it in our souls. As Americans every single one of us were connected or rather we felt the connection that was always there. And the rest of the world was connected to us also. They felt the pain of our loss and pledged to help in any way they could. Sadly, we’ve squandered most if not all of the communitas with our insane foreign policies, and petty internal bickering. But it’s not too late. It’s never too late. On 9/11 we held our connection through the emotion of loss, now we must claim it through force of will. Live it and it will live. That is what we need to remember on this day of remembrance – and every other day.
I love reading what you write, Rich. You're so insightful... or maybe it's just that I agree with you a lot that makes me say "insightful"... :)
Post a Comment