Those of you who live in this area have probably seen the news about my former student, Melanie, who was brutally murdered on Monday. It has been a week and the authorities still haven't caught the murderer, though they do know who he is. They have arrested one person for helping to cover up the murder - as in he lent the suspect money to buy gasoline to burn the body beyond recognition.
The media is making a big deal of the fact that the suspect is an "alien resident" (he has a green card - which means he is here LEGALLY) who had been arrested for three misdemeanors, but, "none were enough to have him deported," they report. Instead of focusing on the atrocity that was this violent murder and the loss of a beautiful, talented, intelligent, sweetheart, the issue is becoming a race-related one, fueling the tension that is already boiling in this state. This angers me.
I really could care less about the color of his skin. He's a MURDERER. And he is still out there. And you better believe that I have contacted my girls who go to UNT, the college that Melanie attended, to tell them to be extra careful. Melanie got into the car with this guy at a convenience store near campus. We know that she didn't know him, and we don't know why she was with him (whether she was abducted or being nice). Either way, the message is this:
Do NOT be nice to strangers when you are alone at 2:00 AM. Do not give anyone you don't know well a ride. Always SCREAM. Scream LOUDLY. At home, practice screaming so that your vocal chords will work when you need them. Learn and practice self defense - use what you have - your keys, pepper spray, a whistle, your knees and elbows. Always go out in (at least) pairs. If you find yourself alone in the middle of the night, CALL ME (or a trusted friend). Rich and I (or that friend) will come and get you or escort you home. Watch out for each other.
This is what should be in the media right now, not the stuff about the color of the suspect's skin, or the insinuation that this might have been prevented had the suspect been deported earlier.
At least the media is getting the suspect's picture out there. I will reluctantly link one of the news stories, so that if you are in this area, you can identify the suspect. The police say that if you see this man, do not approach him. Call 911.
3 comments:
Ginger this whole situation just makes my stomach churn sorry you guys are going through this. Very sad it makes me sqeeze my boys a little longer when I hug them.
Wow. I had no idea she was a former student of yours. I have only caught bits and pieces of the story. I'm so sorry.
Melanie and her big brother were both members of my creative problem solving team at BJHS. In fact, her big brother's team was on one of my state finalist teams, and their family went with us to Lubbock for competition.
I also remember taking them to CATs for workshops, etc.
They were very much a part of my world.
Post a Comment