Tuesday, December 18, 2007

A Break? (therapy smile)

School's out for the..winter? So it's only out for two weeks, and winter doesn't really hit until January here. But still - the point is that SCHOOL IS OUT for a little while and I seriously need the break. I'm sitting between piles of laundry - that which needs to be folded and that which needs to be washed. Rich is tutoring tonight so that leaves me solo. I made dinner (for once) and am finishing wrapping the gifts since we're gonna "go home with the armadillo" tomorrow to see Rich's family. I always forget how hard it is to get ready for the road trip, and I feel completely exhausted from last week's assessments, mag release, and Medieval projects (for the seniors). I've spread myself pretty thin - not to mention the pregnancy and the fact that one of my tooth fillings fell out today. Ha. Like I have time for the dentist!

OK, so I sound extremely gripey. I am, other than being completely stoked about taking a break. Therefore, I've decided to take nothing but fun reading material to my in-laws' house (i.e. no papers to mark, even though I'll have a stack waiting for me when I get back!) and am really looking forward to snuggling in with David Sedaris's sarcastically hilarious Holidays on Ice and Mark Haddon's neurotic episode, A Spot of Bother. (Haddon is the same guy who wrote The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.) Plus I have three The New Yorkers to peruse. (And all the geeky girls go "Do. do do. do do..")

I think the kids will appreciate a refreshed teacher. I think Rich will appreciate a less gripey wife. And I thank my lucky stars that I have a chance to sit and be still.

But damn, I miss wine.

6 comments:

Jen said...

I am SOOOO totally jealous that you are already out for Christmas!! I have NO idea what my district was thinking having us go until the 21st! I mean really! It would be nice to be able to enjoy the holiday rather than running around like crazy those last few days before the 25th because I didn't have time to get anything done because I was still working!! Geez! Oh well!!! Three more days and then I will be rejoicing like you, and HEY I a might just have a glass wine!!

Have a safe trip and a Merry Christmas!! I LOVE YOU!!

Deidra said...

Ginger I was just having this conversation with one of my girl friends that is pregnant. She was just saying she just wants a glass of wine. Stinks we will all have one for you:)

choral_composer said...

You will LOVE 'A Spot of Bother'. I found it utterly engrossing even more so than 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time'. I"ve read it twice now and I devoured it both times :)

Have a most excellent road trip!

Chelle said...

Enjoy!!!

Neal Locke said...

Since Annie hasn't said it yet, I will:

The total abstinence from alcohol during pregnancy is mostly a puritanical American thing driven by legal and insurance issues more than hard research.

In private, most OB's will tell you to wait until after the first trimester, and then the occasional glass of wine is fine.

In fact, many have been known to prescribe a glass or two as a counter to early labor.

Ginger said...

Hi Neal,
I am one who has been precribed an occassional glass of wine. But I haven't had one yet seeing as I've just entered the second trimester and am SUPER cautious about everything these days.

It's weird how American alcohol abstinence has become more stigmatically religious than anything else. If a pregnant woman orders a glass of wine or a beer in public, the entire room looks down their noses at her, just like they look down their noses at people who wear jeans and a Metallica t-shirt to Sunday morning services.

When we were studying Hemingway's "Hills Like White Elephants" the kids latched on to the idea that it was OUTRAGEOUS for the pregnant girl to be drinking, even though she was considering abortion. I had to explain the time period and the circumstance but chose not to adress the fact that it isn't completely heinous for a pregnant woman to be drinking. They might have had the drug and alcohol counselor for our school come and counsel me, after the stake burning of course.
AND
Did you know that they make a beer specifically for pregnant women in Germany? :) Deutschland uber alles!

I hope all of you are well! Merry Christmas!