Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Happy Birthday, Jen!!!

I remember when I was four and you were three and our moms lifted us over the backyard fence to meet. You were in a yellow jumper that tied at the shoulders and had blond pig-tails. I probably wore pea green. We stared at each other as we dug in dirt, from shovel to pail, and were silent.(I'll retell this story a billion times!) Who knew that that moment was the start of a life-long friendship that would withstand time, distance, devastating grief, Mr. Lambrecht, and 9th grade prom,and would, at the same time, foster oblivious joy, silliness*, song, and compassion? I am who I am in great part to your friendship. Thanks for that! I love you, Jen!
Happy Birthday!!!


* Silly in every form imaginable:
1. "I do this all the time!"
2. "The Olympic gymnastic champion is.." and dance class in my garage
3. "I'm allergic to cheese"
4. "I can't say that name"
5. "We'll tell the counselors that I was trying to kill a bug on the window, not trying to 'take-out' the air-conditioning"
6. "If there is someone in the house, come out now! We have a gun (sure it was the decorative rifle over the mantle..)"
7. Rod Turner.
8. Ubert and fence walking
9. The neighborhood pool and synchronized swimming
10. Driving my car in the rain.. through a red light.. very slowly..
11. That stupid flower bangs thing and the abusive hairbrush
12. "Avery thinks he is SO hot.."
13. "I just saw that guy I'm gonna marry.."
14. Sneaking over to your house to watch "Three's Company"
15. The clapper.
etc. etc. etc.

8 comments:

Chelle said...

Indeed, happy birthday Jen!!!

Jen said...

Thanks Ging!! We really have some great memories and you reminded me of several of them! I recently told Is the story of "I do this all the time!" (funny that was top of your list!) And for some reason the "we're tough guys with the decorative rifle" has been a memory I've thought of recently but I totally forgot about Rod Turner and Avery!! Thanks for reminding me of those! I literally laughed out Loud! I love you SOOO much! Thanks for remembering my Birthday!! I love you tons!!

Deidra said...

Can I just say that I think that is the coolest thing ever that you girls have known each other that long. I only have known my fam that long. You are both very lucky girls. Happy birthday Jen.
Love Dee

Jen said...

Yep Dee we are truly blessed! Not everyone can say they have a best friend for a lifetime! Thanks for the birthday wish!! I had a great day!!

Lisa (the girls' moma) said...

The three of us have been friends all together for so long that it's hard for me to fathom that there are things the two of you remember that I don't!

I don't know this a/c story of which you speak.

But most of the rest are cornerstones in my memories, even if it's because you two have told me the stories so many times. I wasn't there for the cheese allergy, but it's folklore in my relationship with you two as if I'd been in that kitchen with you two.

You did, however, forget the random yelling of cuss words that made Jen giggle so much, and the time she yelled at that driver!

JEN, we love you and count it an honor that we've been so close our whole lives. Happy birthday!

Lisa

Ginger said...

Oh my Gosh. I still think of Jen every time I feel the urge to cuss at a driver. And then I laugh. It also makes me giggle when they flip me off which is odd to those of you who do not know what we're talking about.. Maybe I'll tell that story someday.

Anyway.

Keep practicing those cuss words, girls. You never know when they may come in handy..

shitfuckdamnhellbitchass

Mark said...

I'm very impressed by your fantastic exercise regime!

Ginger said...

Thank you Mark :)