Check Your Hesitation
by Jamie F.
The question was multiple choice. It should have been simple. I was filling out a survey online. I don’t even remember what it was for; I am a whore for free stuff, so I participate in several consumer survey groups in which I trade my opinions and spending habits for a couple bucks or some frequent flier miles.
I had finished the difficult part and was at the very end of the demographic questions that finish out the survey. My age, my ethnicity, my ballpark salary range, my education level, and finally…my religious affiliation.
This was the first time in a while that I had been asked this question directly. The choices were very broad- Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu, or Other. And I hesitated. I was shocked at myself for hesitating. I never would have done that five years ago.
Let’s throw out the background before anybody makes any assumptions about me. I was raised a Catholic Christian in Mississippi. And I was a pretty good Catholic. I was on the state (actually Diocesan, because Mississippi is only 2% Catholic, so there is only one diocese for almost the whole state) youth council, an officer in my Catholic Youth Organization, singer and guitarist for the Sunday night Mass. I spent time over two summers on mission trips in Mexico. I made the pilgrimage to Denver in 1993 to see THE Pope, not the new guy with the questionable past political affiliations.
I at least went to church most Sundays in college in Los Angeles. I found the Catholic Center on Campus a little creepy, so I went to a neighborhood church with Mass in Spanish most of the time.
When I moved to Texas, I spent months visiting churches. I picked one out eventually and began attending regularly. I stopped going there after attending Mass on September 16th, 2001. Take a second and put yourself back on that date, the first Sunday after September 11th. The church was packed. People were afraid. They were looking for wisdom, comfort, and many were probably looking to fill a religious void in their lives. I was excited to hear the priest’s Homily. That’s Catholic for sermon, for all you Martin Luther bandwagoners out there. Instead of lauding faith and God’s love as a way to find comfort after such a traumatic week, the priest gave a canned pitch from the Diocese asking for money as part of a special fundraising campaign for the Church. This was the same talk that would have been given if thousands of people had not died since the previous Sunday’s Mass. When he was finished with that, Mass continued, and nothing else was said extemporaneously. I, for the first time in my life, left after Communion.
I already had some major issues with some policies of the Catholic Church. This pushed me over the edge. I found another church and attended sporadically, but my relationship with Catholicism as an institution never recovered. It is important to note that this had nothing to do with my beliefs, or my faith, which remained essentially unchanged.
Over the years since then, my politics have been driven left of where they were, with little relation to religion. I still called myself a Christian, although I have always felt that religion is man’s interpretation of God, or God’s revelation of itself to man. I have always felt God speaks to people in a way they can understand, and that explains all the different faiths. I’m one of those who thinks we are all talking about the same higher power, just relating to him or her or it in different ways. I have also always distrusted man’s manipulation of faith into institutions, which is how I would define organized religion.
Here is where things get interesting. The reason I hesitated on the survey question is not because I don’t know if I have faith or if I believe in God. I am quite certain of how I feel about that. I even think that, for me, Christianity is probably the most accessible form of relating to God. I have no problem with Christianity. What I have a problem with is the baggage that goes along with the word Christian. More and more, I feel that there is a political component to that word. And, get your comments/flames ready, I would never want to be associated with the political side of Christianity.
So, for me, the question was, “Do I want my name associated with what it means to be a Christian in today’s world?” When I hear that word I start to play word association in my head…home school, creationism, right-wing, anti-feminist, intolerant, theocratic, Iraq…
To be fair, you can make some similar associations with other religion names, Islam, Judaism…you get the idea. I think I just feel that my religion did not used to carry such a radical political association and over the past few years it has gained that. It is alienating, at the very least. Now, to enter a church community, not only does one need to bring a set of religious beliefs in line with that community, but a set of political values as well. And I don’t understand why being a Christian has to mean that I demand every aspect of life embrace Christian ideals and condemn anything else.
So what am I? I felt very empty, and a little scared at my predicament. Am I going straight to hell because I denied my faith? I was sitting there waiting for the cock to crow. It is tough to let go of something as fundamental as the religion you were raised with. But if I truly believe what Christianity is about is loving my neighbor as myself and loving my God with my heart, mind, and soul, then this current right-wing political movement that stole my religion’s name needs to return it, seeing how stealing is one of the no-no’s on the list of rules they are trying to hang in the courthouses.
** Jamie also writes a soccer column for an FC Dallas website called 3rd Degree.
11 comments:
Each and every faith is not monolithic & has a million differents sects and sub sects that simmers right down to every single individual's way of worship.
Some of these ways are pure, others corrupted, but the name is not the thing.
In the end times the three monotheistic faith will be cleaned out, and in effect one sect or way of worshipping in each faith will be shown to be the truest and best approximation (as exists on earth) to God's original revelation to its founder prophet(s).
and also a way to harmonise them will be shown
May I suggest you locate that sect of your faith, Islam Christianity Judaism or whatever that most closely chimes with your/the founder(s)' seeming sense of truth, beauty and goodness? & then practice that with all your heart and might and soul?
and then keep looking for improvememnts from there, until the
day you die?
Look for what chimes in the sect you feel is true, and in areas where what is done doesn't, or (in other sects you witness) where the whole form of worship clearly doesn't (the majority of ways, now rising are flat wrong, as alluded to in jamie's post) will you be brave enough to challenge it?
Will be brave enough to speak your truth with compassion & patience? & with trust in Gods ability to, through you plant the necessary seeds, and capture the necessary hearts, to ensure those that are ripe will enter the refinement?
Will you be brave enough to trust in your ability to learn & grow when you get it wrong? & how to do it right, or much better, next time ? Will you have faith in a loving creator (the most merciful and compassionate) rather than succumbing to dwell in fear of getting it wrong - that demon of inaction?
And keep listening for further indications.
Now is not a time to fix one's practice, or live in fear of being associated with the worst of them, but rather to locate the most excellent of practices, and then incorporate them into daily life, & communion, And to build a movement from there.
When asked what kind of God Quakers believed, one suitably framed response recorded was this: rather, what kind of Quaker does God believe in?
I have a million responses to what you wrote, Jamie, and if I were handwriting this comment, you could picture me sitting at a desk, drowning in a sea of wadded-up paper. I have written several drafts.
I think the part of this that struck me the most about your reflection, was the part about you not being able to "check the box" because that is such a striking metaphor – something that ought to be a simple task, but that weighs more than the worth of our mortal existence according to some.
I, too, was also heavily involved in the church growing up. Like you I participated in every mission trip, youth retreat, conference camp, etc. that was offered to me. I sang in the choir, was a member of 2 youth groups, GAs, FCA, and more. I went to church three times a week - Sunday mornings, Sunday evenings, and Wednesday nights for 18 years. When I moved to college, I immediately joined a campus ministry. I have quite the good Christian resume. However, when the shit hit the fan in my life, I felt like I ought to be able to pray it all away, especially because I was a believer with all of my being. "Just give it to God," I was told (and so I believed) and he will heal you, like that was action enough. But it wasn't enough. And I don’t remember healing. I beat the hell out of myself, emotionally, for feeling any sort of doubt or distrust about the matter(s). I think I still do a little. And I slowly hardened my heart since according to my “sect” I must have fucked it up somehow because I didn’t find the comfort that seemed accessible to every one else; or even worse, I toyed with the idea that God didn’t love me enough to want me to be OK.
It took me getting out of my religious comfort zone to realize that God is bigger than I can even imagine. (Oops, was that Christian-ese?) I discovered that the religion part of what I believed in was simply a label. And that horrified me because if your "foundational truth" turns out to be flimsy, then how can you stand? According to some of my friends and members of my family who love me, I'm in serious spiritual danger. They're not afraid to remind me of that. (Sigh)
But at the same time, it is comforting to know that I have options and that perhaps religion is a set of tools that can be used to help us get through the shite. And in not focusing on any sort of outcome (end times, for example), or any sort of rules or guidelines, but instead focusing on loving people and taking care of them, I think we are building the kingdom, and I think that is glorifying to God.
So, like you, I'm not sure I could check any of boxes, though I think my pen would hover over the Christian box, since I'm still not willing to lose that part of my identity. Please don't misunderstand, I do believe in God - one who is beyond human definition; who shows up in ways we are not able to imagine; one who expects us to take care of each other. (Was that a definition? Sorry. Human nature. In that case, God is most definitely a woman. :)) I think at the moment, I have a little trouble with committing to any organized religion and I certainly have trouble with trusting labels - especially religiously political ones. And maybe more than that, I have trouble trusting. In the end, though, we do what we can with what we have. That’s all we can do.
And this is genius -"But if I truly believe what Christianity is about is loving my neighbor as myself and loving my God with my heart, mind, and soul, then this current right-wing political movement that stole my religion’s name needs to return it, seeing how stealing is one of the no-no’s on the list of rules they are trying to hang in the courthouses."
Amen.
With respect both Jewish & Christian scripture makes it quite clear that one is to love God (first) with all our heart and mind and soul, and the neighbour as the self: and it is not the other way round. And which one we put first matters.
"You were bought with price, be ye not servants of men" Corin 7:23
Also, surely it is not "my God" that I am to worship, God is not 'mine', but rather, we are God's. And perhaps, if we are extremely lucky and discerning we are even able to become God's chosen.
Again I think it is important to consider the other way round from how you've put it.
How do you expect the nutty right wing evangelicals will hand back to you "your" religion? As with power in general the only way that it ever gets relinquished is when it is in some way seized back by those that have lost it.
The idea of end time is not necessarily an outcome, but also through a process of imagination can point us towards the appropriate state of mind by which the outcome in question, in which all the rubbish gets cleaned out, the false ways of worship are shown to be so, as has already been written/prophesied, is guaranteed.
Some questions for Jamie if he's reading: do you believe in all the prophets up to Jesus or do you believe in Muhammed as chosen prophet too?
And if you believe in Muhammed as a prophet, given your issues with the Church why are you still Christian, if there is a later revelation that you acknowledge as being from the same God?
When you say you are a Christian, inspite of all the rubbish in-the-name-of-Christ doctrines and anti-Christian structures of power you identify, what God do you actually believe in?
Do you believe in Islam as a true religion revealed by the same God who chose Abraham & Jesus, that Muhammed is the seal on prophets?
Or, alternatively do you believe that Muhammed is a false one?
Check out the following URL at P-ta's blog for a hilarious sketch on creationism:
http://edensong.blogspot.com/
Jamie, you’re not going to hell because you denied your faith, you’re going to hell because you’re Catholic. At least that’s what I was taught as a kid . (Thanks a lot Grandmother. I remember when she realized that some Catholics really do know Jesus. Actually I’m pretty sure she only believed that one specific nurse did. Till her dying day she still thought the rest were dodgy. Thank God I got away from her cultish branch of the Southern Baptist Convention. Like you I grew up Christian. I love God and think the way to serve him/her (I refuse to assign genitalia to the divine I Am) is to emulate Christ. But I’m open to the possibility that if I were born in India I’d be Hindu, or if I were born in the Middle East I’d be Muslim. So I love Christ but I’ve grown tired of Christians. A few at a time are lovely, but it seems that any large group goes mad. Maybe it’s not Christians, it’s all people. Any group of 10 or more seem to be paralyzed by the surety of their own ‘right-ness’. I get so disgusted by their propensity to label their own human opinion as incontestable fact. That is what ended my church attendance – specifically I just got tired of being told who to vote for if “I really love God”. But maybe I’ve given up to easily. We can take the power away from the Christian Nationalists (or Bible-Nazis or Pit-bull Christians). The mainstream Christians are beginning to get fed up with the extremist minority speaking in their name. They are realizing that stewardship of the planet is a sacred duty, that poverty is mentioned in the bible a thousand times more than homosexuality, and abortion only once obliquely. Maybe there is room in today’s church for me to voice dissent without being a heretic.
So, feel free to check the box. If you’re a follower of Christ you’re a Christian, regardless of what the far right is doing. If enough of the moderate majority speaks up, we can save Christ from the extremists. We got back on track after the horrors of the inquisition and other atrocities in the name of God, so this should be cake.
Mark, pure worship vs. corrupted is a good idea, but who gets to choose? What is pure to me is corrupt to others, but what is pure to them is foul to me. How can there possibly be one form of worship that is ultimately effective for each individual human being? We’re wired for different teaching styles, different diets, even different sunlight intensities, do you think we’ll all agree on one form of worship? And as to ‘My God’, there is no God but ‘my God’. Every person has their own definition of who God is and there are only two ways to form that definition: you can shape your personal view through meditation, prayer, scripture, etc. or you can accept the view given to you by someone else. Hopefully that definition is shaped both internally and externally and is ever-changing and growing.
I can’t answer for Jamie, but as another former enthusiastic Jesus youth I can give you my answers. The term prophet means very different things in the different religious traditions. Do I believe that some of the figures in the Bible had a message from God for a specific group of people at a specific time? Sure, I can get behind that. But that’s not what the Muslims mean by prophet; there haven’t ever been riots over drawing pictures of Isaiah. I can’t say if Mohammed fits my definition of a prophet or not. I simply don’t have enough information. I need to study more; although I’ll probably never be as familiar with any other religion as I am with Christianity through the geography of my birth. On the topic of revelation, there is a difference between acknowledging that someone can find truth and peace and God within a religious tradition, and claiming that the tradition is the most recent and therefore most authentic revelation from God. I believe someone can be in the center of God’s will for them as a Hindu, or a Buddhist, or even a Baptist, but that does not mean that their path is right for me. I choose not to abandon the example of Christ even though I’ve seen horrors done in his name. If someone sets the bar that high how they can be a part of any religion – maybe that’s what you’re getting at. For me personally, if it is empowering and brings us together as human beings it’s from God, if it’s repressive or divisive it’s not. You hit the core issue with your earlier comment; the question of ‘Who is God?’ is important, but not as important as ‘Who does God want me to be?’
I appreciate everyone's comments and perspectives. I hope everyone realizes I am not trying to push my views on anyone.
I am not a believer in strict definitions when it comes to religion, because fundamentally I believe that when another person steps between God and me to interpret, the message gets garbled. This is even more true when the middleman has a financial interest in being the middleman, which is what almost all religion is.
That may offend people greatly, and I don't mean there is no place for religious organization, but the questions Mark asks of me sort of assume some foundations that I may not necessarily subscribe to.
You ask me if I 'believe' in several prophets. I certainly believe these people existed. I listen to what they have to say, but who is to say whether or not they deserve the title of prophet? I can't even say I believe that they believe God has spoken through them, although I would like to believe that, whether or not I believe their message.
I think I believe that God can speak to all of us, and that we, in turn, can relate what we hear. However, like anything a person relates that he or she has heard, it can be distorted, or misunderstood, or simply remembered incorrectly. In the ultimate cynicism, it can be manipulated or fabricated.
As such, I try to take the information relayed by all prophets and process it critically. That includes the Bible for me, as a Christian. I think every book should be studied in its context in history, its author's motivation, and his or her intended audience.
So, Mark, when you ask what God I believe in, my answer would be that there is no choice- there is one God. The separations and definitions, for me, can be chalked up to man's misinterpretation of God. So, consequently, I would answer your question about whether or not I believe Islam is a true religion, I would say that term is an oxymoron. It has its merits and problems, just as most religions do for me.
It is difficult to answer questions like this because I don't know much about you, and tone is difficult to interpret in a blog post. I do not want to offend, but I tried to answer your questions as openly as possible.
I appreciate the words of encouragement from everyone. I see my spirituality as a journey, and I am grateful for all your opinions.
Thankyou for the interesting response Jamie
Post a Comment