I concluded that there is a way to achieve peace in this world, whether it be in our hearts, our families, our society, or on this globe. The answer is 'go back to the garden'. This should not be confused with, "Go and work in the garden," a metaphor you've probably heard me preach a billion times over, especially when I'm reading/teaching Candide. And though working in the garden IS SO VERY IMPORTANT in maintaining our current functionality, what I'm postulating now is very different - it's the solution.
If you'll remember, I have had such a cool opportunity to mull things over in recent conversations with my boss, and I make light of our sometimes ultra-silly conclusions. At the same time I've been reading some very serious Hemingway short stories about war and the lost generation (esp. "Under the Ridge" and "A Natural History of the Dead") and also Kurt Vonnegut's classic novel, Slaughterhouse-5. Of course, the news (CNN, NPR, BBC, ETC.) elbows its way into my brain, as do the words of Bishop Tutu ("The world is still good because the norm is not news!"). So I'm left with Light and Dark; Holy and Vile; Heaven and Hell... on earth. It's confusing. So instead of trying to combine all of these conflicting "ingredients" into a peaceful whole -a perfect peaceful souffle (if you will)- with the hopes that if we tip-toe around it long enough, it will not self-implode, we should implement the simple solution. That is go back to the garden - to Eden before Adam, before Eve, before Lilith or the snake or the apple or the fig or the shameful nakedness and banishment.
This idea occurred to me before I read this passage in the Vonnegut:
[Billy] came slightly unstuck in time, saw the late movie backwards, then forwards again. It was a movie about American bombers in the Second World War and the gallant men who flew them. Seen backwards by Billy, the story went like this:
American planes, full of holes and wounded men and corpses took off backwards from an airfield in England. Over France, a few German fighter planes flew at them backwards, sucked bullets and shell fragments from some of the planes and crewmen. They did the same for wrecked American bombers on the ground, and those planes flew backwards to join the formation.
The formation flew backwards over a German city that was in flames. The bombers opened their bomb bay doors, exerted a miraculous magnetism which shrunk the fires, gathered them into cylindrical steel containers, and lifted the containers into the bellies of the planes...
When the bombers got back to their base, the steel cylinders were taken from the racks and shipped back to the United States of America, where factories were operating night and day, dismantling the cylinders, separating the dangerous contents into minerals. Touchingly, it was mainly women who did this work. The minerals were then shipped to specialists in remote areas. It was their business to put them into the ground, to hide them cleverly, so they would never hurt anybody ever again.
The American fliers turned in their uniforms, became high school kids. And Hitler turned into a baby, Billy Pilgrim supposed. That wasn't in the movie. Billy was extrapolating. Everybody turned into a baby, and all humanity, without exception, conspired biologically to produce two perfect people named Adam and Eve, he supposed.
I know that I'm not the first to suggest going back to the garden. And though Vonnegut makes a brilliantly cogent point, he is forgetting one major problem: Adam and Eve fucked up. They were given a choice - free will: to eat the apple fig or not to eat it; to obliviously live in harmony with God or to want more than what they were given, and they made the incorrect choice.
Human nature always wants more, and to not want more takes tediously agonizing work, as changing our natures would do. When given the opportunity to make good decisions, we generally hose things up by desiring more, whether it be more knowledge, more love, more wealth, more land, more ____fill in the blank____ etc.. That means, therefore, that we have to go further back than what Vonnegut suggests- before man was created.
That means we don't get to exist. That means we wouldn't get to say anything poetic about yins or yangs or the balance of good and evil, sacrifice or selfishness, martyrdom or terrorism. We wouldn't get to experience hope or regret, love or hate, "affirmations or taxes". This would sound sad upon first reflection. But I think that knowing we wouldn't be missing anything -because we wouldn't exist -helps us to understand that peace is well worth the sacrifice.
So, let's do it. Let's go back to the garden so that we can attain peace on earth.
10 comments:
I love the images from the book. Lovely.
Not to sound like a hungry Homer that time he wanted to know why finding a twenty dollar bill under the couch was actually better than finding a single peanut, but can you explain how? Is this an attitude adjustment you're suggesting, a bit of Buddhist detachment, or something more literal?
I think she's wielding satire. (I hope)I'll ask...
Yep. Satire (sort of). We're all safe from her evil genius for now.
Okay, good. Because I wondered when she had the time to build a time machine, especially one big enough for all six billion of us.
Sorry I'm bad at catching tone. What can I say... I take Ginger very seriously! Except when we're making asses of ourselves. Which is more often than not... so nevermind. :)
Hey ya'll. Yeah. I am sort of being sarcastic/satirical - as much as I know how to be. I think that to an extent, Mr. A was right about there never being peace in the world because, though I believe that there is innate good in the majority of people on this planet, there are also less enviable qualities that root themselves in selfishness - the id and ego. yadda yadda
So, to me, WORKING in the garden is really the solution, since time machines are only located in Area 51 and since human nature isn't bound to change anytime soon.
As for nihilistic existentialism... Camus has ruined me forever.
Fougs - There is nothing wrong with your reading of tone. I am working on expressing it in writing. Subtlety in satire is always the hardest.
A Two Eyed View of //
1 to live with consciousness in the garden, free of self-centred sin, obsessions with good vs bad, praise vs blame (+ all the suffering this engenders) AND
2 to work for a postmodern rendition of garden, rising community: mental, ecological & social, but also political, set upon (with others) to make the powers accountable..
to this self-same love.
// One Spiritual and future Earthly Kingdom
Hi M,
A comment to your comment in the context of my original post:
#1 yes! - except that for that to happen, there can be no free will. And also, aren't these some of the very same qualities that make us human? In Gethsemene, the perfect man felt the genuine suffering associated with these.
#2. Though v. poetic, phrases like "make the powers accountable" scare the shit out of me. I know you, and I know what you mean, sort of. But are these not the types statements lend themselves to fascism?
Oops, that brings us back to #1.
But I do hope for a version of your kind of community (the postmodern garden). And I certainly believe in going to work there.
Maybe it's a diction thing for me. I think my reaction wouldn't be as dramatic if you had said "hold" instead of make.
Isn't making or holding people accountable a judgement call on good v. bad and praise v. blame?
Sorry -am dashing to work now. Maybe I need more time to think this through, but I wanted to get my initial thoughts posted.
Of course we cannot go through life as effective agents without making judgments indeed they are necessary to fulfil our obligations in a democratic society and build the kingdom.
But we can live moment to moment with a freedom from assumption, beyond the particular and in the seamless whole of life, that's the garden or spiritual kingdom
But for the protagonists to succeed don't they need each other, in order to shine to their fullest?
But there ARE great big gaping seams in the whole of life, since the wholes (and holes) happen to be selfishly and selflessly made up of the universal "me". This whole is the the kingdom of humanity, comprised of ripped seams, disturbing and unique, endlessly sewn back together, imperfect and lovely. There is tenderness in this mending, in these particular moments (also beautiful). And this repair work is what tending is - to take care of the ones whose seams are gaping. Sometimes it's "my" thred that helps to mend "you" and sometimes it's "your's" that stitches "me" back together. THAT'S the kingdom. That's the garden. And that's what it means to work there.
The antagonists need more mending than some of the others. And that's why they're (conditionally?)welcome in the human garden. And the protagonists forget to shine sometimes, even when polished by the best.
:-)
Post a Comment