erched ACME anvil that follows the poor coyote's fall and lands on top of him, making him an accordion - way. It's silly is all. What insecurities should I avoid and which should I own up to? What would be generic and what would show my personality? See? This is hard.But I'll stop whining.
Here are #'s 21-40 to follow the first entry. Enjoy:
21. My first boyfriend was amazing! He brought me flowers on Valentine's Day and gave me lots of gifts. He came to my house nearly everyday and my parents approved of our relationship.
22. This boy gave me my first kiss (which was planned - as in "Let's kiss twice and hug twice") behind the bushes in front of his house. It was all romantic until a.) he started taking off his clothes and b.) some neighborhood hooligans caught us and mercilessly made fun of us.
23. This happened when I was 6 years old and we were in kindergarten. I guess my boyfriend thought that that's what you do when you love someone: hug, kiss, and take off your clothes. I wonder where he got that idea.. (CAUTION PARENTS.) I wonder what happened to good ole Chuck Chesky.
24. When I was a little older, our neighbor, Dustin, used to run away from me because I had cooties. My dad made me chase him down the street to try and kiss him. How did I end up normal?
25. To further embarrass me, when I was 12, my dad used to follow my friends and me to the mall, magically appear in the crowded food court, and yell "Step right up boys! We have some lovely girls here who are single! One at a time! Step right up!" I thought I was going to die on several occasions as in, "Like OH MY GOD, like my dad is like SO LAME. I'm like so gonna DIE. Seriously, like, I'm SO sorry. This is like so NOT rad."
26. Around this time, a kid named Cory moved in next door to me. That might have been my first real - what do I do now - crush. I remember that he was from Iowa (my El Pasoan classmates called him 'white bread') and that we spent a lot of time hanging out on long summer nights. He was probably the first boy that I actually really talked to, as opposed to the boys whom I "loved" and rambled on about at school and then avoided at all costs. He took me to my first REAL school dance with a corsage and everything.
27. In 4th grade I won the school's 'Just Say No to Drugs' essay writing contest (remember Nancy Reagan?) and realized for the first time that I could write well.
28. I realized I was pretty good because I made up a bogus story about one of my cousins using drugs and how he overcame that addiction and went on to love Jesus - or something like that. It was total bunk (except for the Jesus part), and they bought it. (I'm sorry, Cousin.)
29. This is also how I learned that I have a HUGE imagination. I remember as I was writing that particular essay that I needed to NOT go off the deep end with the sentimentality. Keep it real, Ginger. Keep it real.
30. My imagination often got me in trouble. For example, for a while I was convinced that my parents were robots - like the one in Superman III with Richard Pryor. I was more afraid that I would have to deal with their malfunctions than I was of the idea that they were robots. I mean, what if one of their eyes fell out or something? Gross.
31. My mother cultured me throughout my childhood. She took me to the ballet, even when I was itty-bitty. She took me to art museums and plays, folklorico extravaganzas and creative problem solving competitions. That is why I think I have a deep LOVE for all things artsy. I love color! Thanks for that Mom! (and for not being a robot)
32. My Dad fed me science - I was a member of the Ranger Rick Nature Club, I had a microscope and a telescope in my room, he took me to the space observatory and to White Sands Missile Range in Alamogordo, and basically instilled in me a curiosity for the universe. We used to sit outside and count the stars on warm summer nights.
33. I love to swim, a popular pastime in El Paso since it's freaking HOT there. We had a neighborhood swimming pool at which Lisa, Jen and I spent lots of our time. When we bought our house, a neighborhood swimming pool was a must have.
34. I've never been very girlie. I'm more of a tree climber. I never have had fake nails, I've never really "styled my hair," and I didn't wear make-up until my first year of teaching when it was part of the dress code for female teachers (only). But then, so is wearing a bra - which I didn't need until 4 years ago.
35. Because of this, I was always considered "one of the guys" which meant that I got to hang out with the boys at their secret clubhouses (the fire), but it also meant that not many boys wanted to kiss me. Or really, not many of the boys I wanted to have kiss me wanted to kiss me.
36. I had to go away to summer camp to have my first "romance." And summer camps are the best places for those sorts of things. I wonder what happened to good ole Mike..
37. My first real job, other than working at my dad's office, was as a gift wrapper. I wrapped presents with Lisa, Jen, and Amy at Anthony's department store during Christmas time. I got the job because Jen and Amy's Mawmaw worked there which meant instant connection!
38. I also worked at the mall at a "Healthy Food Store" complete with fruit smoothies and sprouts. This store later turned into a barbecue stand. I guess the world wasn't ready to be healthy yet.
39. I was horrified at the thought of graduating from high school and REALLY wanted to live with my punk friends in a trailer instead of going to college.
40. My mom dragged my happy butt to Texas Tech and told me I would go to school. Tech was the only school I applied to, and after I got over the initial shock of being taken out of my comfort zone, I was so appreciative of the move. It turns out that sometimes our parents know what's good for us. Thanks also for that, Mom.
3 comments:
I honestly don't know where to begin!! I Loved reading this, so please know your mom is NOT the only one interested in reading these!!
I am going to comment more later on the different things here!! It's after 10Pm and I still haven't done my post for the day!!
So I am off to do that!!
Thanks once again for the memories!! I LOVE IT!! Can't wait for the next 20!!
Those are great! I love the robot thing, too funny. And, I actually remember you working at Anthony's...which is totally random. :)
My to be craptastic friday at work has turned lovely. When you say your mom looks forward to this you must secretly mean all of your friends who read this! Love it!
Post a Comment