Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Hegelian... Your Mom's Hegelian.

My smarty pants British friend, P-ta, is here visiting from Houston. Somehow, in the midst of our conversation which was about movies, P-ta throws out the words "Hegelian Dialectic." Of course I reacted by laughing like I am sophisticated and well educated enough to know exactly what Hegelian means and that while on my yacht last summer, vacationing at Martha's Vineyard, I actually had Hegelian Dialectic with my Swedish masseuse, Sven, before my husband, Reginald, arrived with the pâté. Tut tut and Pish posh.

Then I scrunched up my face and said, "Wait. Wha..?" And P-ta said, "I don't know."

So we looked it up.

And we still don't get it. Nor do we want to.

I guess we'll have to go back to making fart noises with our armpits and singing the theme to The Dukes of Hazard. "Just two good ole boys, Never meanin' no harm.."

Oh well.

4 comments:

choral_composer said...

I think my paternal grandmother spoke in an Hegelian Dialect - which explains why I could never understand her!

Neal Locke said...

If I explain it, would that forever brand me as a total nerd? (or is it way too late for me to be worrying about that anyhow...)

At the moment, I'm actually engaging in Freirean Dialectic (and enjoying it). Freire was an ideological heir to Hegel, and their dialectics are quite similar.

Although one was German and the other Brazilian. ;-) Go figure...

Craig said...

Wow. Does Texan count as a dialect? We should all still do something at some point.

Hope everyone is enjoying a beautiful fall!

Ginger said...

P-ta - We had a great time last night! Sorry we crashed on you, but hopefully we can see you on Sunday too!

Neal - Yes. You are a branded nerd. But we already knew that, and that's why we like you! :) When is the new baby coming? Any day now, right?

Craig! - Yes, we still should hang out! I got sick with a nasty sinus, flu-ish ebola and was unfriendly for 4 weeks or so. But now I'm feeling better. So, let's hang out.

AND Congratulations! This might be the first time in history that ONLY boys left comments on a blog... That is except for me. Though I was often considered "one of the guys" in high school, I actually AM a girl.