Friday, November 02, 2007

Creative Carving

My family enthusiastically celebrates holidays. We always have. Growing up I remember how fun holidays were, whether it be Christmas morning or the 4th of July, a family birthday or Columbus day. Mostly holidays involved some sort of holiday treat, streamers, some marching and twirling, and OF COURSE sparklers. When I grew up (growing up being a relative idea), I realized how hard my family worked at making the holidays special - as in all the magic was Mom-made. As soon as I figured that out, I decided that I wanted to continue making a big deal of these sorts of celebrations since these are what add color to the world and create that wonder that makes people smile and want to be together.

Halloween is no exception. Usually we go all out. I decorate the house, we costume shop, I make greeting cards, and buy candy corn. We go to pick our pumpkins at pumpkin patches and loose ourselves in corn mazes, caramel apples in hand. But this year my being sick really put a damper on the festivities. I did buy pumpkins for carving at our local farmer's market(because that is a must) and some funny carving patterns, so I tried my best to at least keep some of the tradition alive. I stayed on the couch for most of Halloween evening, watching all of the Halloween specials I could find on the tele while Rich answered the doorbell for trick-or-treat-ers, but we did manage to carve our pumpkins and set them out before it got dark. Here are the results of our endeavor:

Click to play Halloween 07
Slideshows and scrapbooks - Powered by Smilebox
Make your own slide shows and scrapbooks

7 comments:

Jen said...

I love the Smilebox thingy!! How cool!! There's one picture of you in the very corner of the picture and it looks like your are peaking around into the picture from the side!! Anyway pretty cool!!

I remember your mom making holidays so fun and memorable. I remember trick or treating with your several times while "growing up" too! GOOD TIMES!!

Oh and I love the new blog look!! I said out loud "ooooo!!" When I logged on!! Hehe!!

Are you feeling any better today? Hope so! Love Ya

choral_composer said...

Excellent carvings - I was in rehearsals for 5 hours on Halloween so I didn't get to experience any of it this year :(

Deidra said...

Ginger sorry you were sick on Halloween I am so glad that you were able to keep your traditions going even though you were not feeling well.

Chelle said...

I am quite impressed with your pumpkin carving abilities. ;)

Anonymous said...

Amazing daughter you amaze me again...this smileybox thing is awesome as are the carvings..thanks for having fond memories..I sure do..I love being your mom....

Ames said...

Hey girl. I like the pumpkins...yes your mom was always great with making a big deal out of holiday's. As a kid I remember thinking, when going over to your house, "wow, we don't do all 'this' for our holidays at my house" HA!

Lisa (the girls' moma) said...

Nice punkins. Love em. Also love Rich's hair. Pass that on.

L